Nightjar Conservation Status

Hi Everyone!

Wondering whether anybody can help me understand the current conservation status of nightjars please:

The RSPB website currently shows the conservation status of Nightjars as "UK Conservation Status Not Assessed" but the BTO indicate the UK Conservation status is amber?  Nightjars are listed on UK Birds of Conservation Concern 5 as Amber status.  Could anybody shed any light on the reasons for different listings please - is it due to migratory status?

Many thanks

• SophieS said:

Hi Everyone!

Wondering whether anybody can help me understand the current conservation status of nightjars please:

The RSPB website currently shows the conservation status of Nightjars as "UK Conservation Status Not Assessed" but the BTO indicate the UK Conservation status is amber?  Nightjars are listed on UK Birds of Conservation Concern 5 as Amber status.  Could anybody shed any light on the reasons for different listings please - is it due to migratory status?

Many thanks

I'm no expert.

The RSPB status as Not assessed is purely that.

That does not mean they are not assessing, it may be for many factors they are not able to finalise whatever data they have for a multitude of reasons. They may include finance, insufficient research, changes in where the data is obtained from among many others, and I'm not ruling out no research as yet started.

You would probably be best to contact the RSPB direct and see what response you get from there.

There may be someone monitoring this who may be able to provide a more informative response, because mine is purely guesswork.

• www.legislation.gov.uk/.../69
    This is the present 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act in the link above, of which has the various schedules of the protection of any bird or other type of UK wildlife. Schedules in that act have been changed  for UK birds and other wildlife over the years in the various schedules of for the protection and other wildlife in the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act by the Secretary of State of the different Governments of the day. It has happened at various times with changes to all wildlife since the 1981 Wildlife and Act was created. Also Scotlands Regional Government has  some differences for of the protection of birds and other wildlife in Scotland and in different schedules, compared to England. Also I’ve had some problems with my internet with problems with my router of which has just been replacer and that is why I haven’t posted over the last 7 days and more.

Regards,

Ian.

• How does that help in relation to the posters question Ian?

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Well as the Government are considering changing the status of certain birds in the different schedules. Maybe the status of the Nightjar might be under consideration by the RSPB. And that has happened before as well. I’m not saying that is the reason. But a possibility! Also of course another possibility with this new look RSPB Website and certain parts of this website still missing. As it is 7 or more days since I’ve been able to post until I received my new router this morning I’ve just been having a look again at the new look website. Also the Golden Eagles status is Green. Who knows!

Regards,

Ian.

• I think the poster was more looking for actual stats and figures on the status of the Nightjar...quoting the law is helpful to those that perhaps are unaware of the protection of bird especially during breeding season but don't think it's helpful with this post unless it actually relates to the Nightjar which I assume it doesn't...
    So glad you got your Internet sorted...perhaps you will have less problems now with the site and your Ipad....nowt worse than no Internet

• Hi Linda, Ian & Mike

Many thanks for your replies and taking the time.

It is the conservation status of nightjars in particular - though all input is appreciated.

I monitor wildlife on a large countryside estate, with a focus on birds as indicators of how our habitat management and biodiversity net gain activities are performing.

This summer I'm reasonably sure we heard nightjars on site, but they were not captured on our recording equipment and were not sighted. For next year, I would like to include specific monitoring for nightjar in our annual plan. The landowner has asked me to clairfy the conservation status of the species so our records are accurate (using a suitable source/reference) - which is when I hit the discrepancy mentioned in the original post.

Thanks
    S
  • Hi Sophie sorry we couldn't get you the answers you require as we are just a community forum no actual official staff members from RSPB are on here to help sadly. as Mike suggested probably best contact them directly or even the BTO and hopefully one of them maybe able to give you the answers your looking for or point you in the right direction!

Not sure if this I any use to you...just a link I found

www.forestryengland.uk/.../nightjar

Good luck in your quest

• No worries at all - I appreciate your help and engagement with the question, so thank you. Thought it was worth a try, just in case there was a nightjar expert or somebody more experienced than me in the community forum!

Interesting Forestry England page, and stunning photos - I really hope to catch a glimpse on our site next summer.

Thanks Linda!

S
  • Feel free to update us on how you get on Sophie ;-)

• You will probably get a reply from a member of staff on one of the various RSPB’s Facebook and Twitter websites. As staff regularly post on those various RSPB Facebook and Twitter websites. That is the way the RSPB seems to be now to be aiming for. Staff will probably mainly reply Monday-Friday on those various websites.

Regards,

Ian.