Beginner course

Hello!

I am looking for a good in person introduction course to birds, mainly garden birds. Maybe a weekend somewhere where there is the opportunity to learn outdoors about identifying birds both by their songs and by knowing what to look for. 
I would really appreciate any recommendations on finding a nice course. 

thank you

Emma

• Have a look at local rspb reserves and wildlife trust centres, their websites should have "what's on" sections.

• As already mentioned, RSPB reserves, many do have guided walks, likewise so do Wildlife Trusts.

Probably one of the best ways to actually learn, is visit a local reserve, and using a good reference book, just see what bird's are there on that day, Pick one or two, and get used to seeing them. You'll be amazed how quick you pick up individual species.

Get to know the staff, also regulars who visit, they'll all help you identify the birds, and some even give tips on what to look for, like the surroundings, particular markings and behaviours.

If you're into photography, and have access to a reasonable camera, take a photo or two, so you can look at that bird or animal and observe the features that you've heard or read about.

Smartphones are ok for subjects close, but they do have their limitations

The important thing is, enjoy it, take your time and DO NOT binge learn. If you try too learn many species, you'll forget the ones you started with and become disillusioned. Even the most ardent nature watchers are still learning, and never stop.

• Also, if you enjoy reading, you could try just reading a bird book - or just enjoy looking at the images. If you do that it is incredible how many birds you will sub-consciously pick up.
    It helped me to recognise a lot of birds, even those that I'd never even seen before!

Regards

Benji

• Hi Emma and welcome to the forum ... in addition to reading through some bird books you could pick out a few birds which are stated to be all year round visitors and look them up on You Tube where you will find video footage showing their behaviours in the wild so you'll know what to look for when out and about ... also look at RSPB A-Z here www.rspb.org.uk/.../a-z
    If you get any pics that need identifying, or any further questions, then come back to us for help!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi-

what county are you in?

We could recommend some good reserves/ places/ organisations

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Have a look at this website Emma, walks and courses with Ed Drewitt
    www.eddrewitt.co.uk/dawn-chorus

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hello! It's great that you're interested in learning more about birds, especially garden birds. I recommend checking with local nature centers, birdwatching clubs, or wildlife organizations in your area. They often offer workshops or birdwatching events where you can learn about bird identification, their songs, and observe them in their natural habitats. Additionally, websites like Audubon or Cornell Lab of Ornithology have online resources and may list birdwatching courses or events in your region. Happy birdwatching!
  • As has already been said local RSPB or nature groups can be helpful - if you fancy a few days of learning the possibly a company like Naturetrek might be something that fit the bill.

Cin J