Newfoundland Power Ospreys

Hi 

Is anyone familiar with the Ospreys Hope and Beaumont at Newfoundland Power?

The chicks are in a dire situation presently with now both chicks stuck in a deep nest cup.  

I can't find much info in this nest and just wondered if data is logged like it is in the UK.

The nest has failed before.  Is there such a thing as Ospreys who are not very good at raising chicks or is it just bad luck?

There were some comments on the LG chat which lead me to view the nest.

Many thanks

• I had a look at this nest yesterday, Freebird66, when someone posted a comment on the Loch Garten thread about the one chick at the time, being on its side. The nest seemed to me to be scattered with twigs and grasses, etc, a bit messy, but when you scrolled back, it looked okay. Don't know if they had windy weather or if the Osprey's did this. Had not known about this nest before, as I was watching the pair yesterday, they seemed to be plodding all over the nest and not much care to where they stepped, at one point, the chick on it's side got trodden on and the other walloped with a stick that was being moved. It looked okay then. Don't know if they are new to this? I did read that the nest had previously failed with 3 chicks. Had a quick look this morning, but it is quite hard watching. Such a pity that the parents don't realise the chicks need help and nudge them upright.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi Catlady
    Really frustrating to watch. Fingers crossed it improves very soon.
  • Wonder if it is weather related, midwest USA have had some bad storms in the past few days so don't know if Newfoundland in same trajectory! Doesn't seem to be an up-to-date FB page or Twitter site & no chat linked to YT!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hope did feed the chick who is now upright but the other one is still head down and has not been fed for 2 days.
  • Oh dear, at least one got fed. I read on LG thread when we were worried about the chicks not getting fed, that someone posted around 3 days the chicks would be okay for, especially if it had been wet and their was moisture, but these ones are smaller and in upside-down positions. I hope all will be okay.

• Hope has been at the nest since 2019 in Newfoundland where she had one chick out of three fledge. No other chicks of hers have survived since 2019. The one dead or dying was upside down and exposed for over 3 hours 3 days ago. It has not been fed. Yesterday Hope put several sticks on it and then stepped on the chick. This one cannot right itself either, like the other. There is some concern about sticky 'mud' in the nest. Hope has fed the chick that had the sticks put on it on 3 July. Newfoundland Power is aware of the situation but it appears that nothing will be done.
  • Thankyou for the update, it is a sad situation.

• It certainly is. My heart aches. Those are strong chicks and to lose them...
  • It appeared that Hope tried to either aerate around the one living chick or was attempting to get it up...the one has finally died and this second one surely will. Hope was at the edge of the nest eating a fish. She is not a mean mother but she lacks almost all material instincts that we see in other Osprey females. We will never know why her behaviour is as it is but those poor babies...it is a horrible death to struggle, be stressed, and starve.
  • Thank you for your very informative updates. It is tragic that this situation repeats each season but would explain why social media updates are scant.. we are blessed to have so many other successful nests to view. I'll be visiting Manton Bay on Monday and saying a silent prayer for the marvel that is Maya super mama