Yellow and black magpie

Hi there, 

new to this group but would like to ask if it’s common to see a magpie that is canary yellow and black instead of white and black. It’s been visiting the garden for the past 3 days. 

• The photos are there, but I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable on the forum to share their wisdom.

• Definitely right, can see your yellow mags very clearly & looking just like the one I found pic of on internet!
  • Fascinating - thank you for working out how to post the photos. Colour dilution is a huge and complex area
  • I've never seen anything like that before so I would think it's fairly uncommon.

The BTO study plumage abnormalities in birds which you can read about HERE. One of the conditions they mention is flavism which is an excess of yellow pigment although I don't know if that is the case with your Magpie.

If you would like you can report it to the BTO using the online questionnaire link on the page I've given you.

• Thanks for the replies everyone. We've had magpies nesting on our old sky dish for a few years now, but only recently noticed this wee fella looked a bit different. After watching him stealing my siberian husky's breakfast this morning I took some pics and did a bit of googling and found myself on this forum. I'm no expert bird watcher, more a nature enthusiast, but never seen one quite like this so thought it was worth sharing. My DSLR is now dragged out the cupboard with battery charged so hopefully I might get a better pic or two!

Andy

• It's a possibility, although I should point out the magpies very rarely get a look in, just an odd occasion when she's taking her sweet time. This morning they got a couple of bits each before she saw them off. Unfortunately I can't feed her inside because her much bigger male counterpart is a greedy so and so and eats everything in sight
  • Well I'm no expert so I have no idea of the cause, and as such I won't offer a theory. I'll simply enjoy seeing him in my garden every day, try to get some better pictures of him, try to stop him stealing my dog's food and report back on his well-being
  • andys74 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. We've had magpies nesting on our old sky dish for a few years now, but only recently noticed this wee fella looked a bit different. After watching him stealing my siberian husky's breakfast this morning I took some pics and did a bit of googling and found myself on this forum. I'm no expert bird watcher, more a nature enthusiast, but never seen one quite like this so thought it was worth sharing. My DSLR is now dragged out the cupboard with battery charged so hopefully I might get a better pic or two!

Andy

Just a thought, while a DSLR will produce better quality photos, the ones you've provided have been nice and clear, and I presume it is a smartphone. Not all DSLR's have GPS on, whereas all smartphones do, and if ever the location of your photographs came into question, ensure the GPS is on when you take photos, for that will be logged in the photo data.

Not that the integrity of the photos are in question, this is for future reference.

If your DSLR does have GPS, then the same, for any photos that might come into question, switch the GPS on and it will be stored with the photo data.

• Thanks for the advice Mike, here's a couple of (slightly) better pictures. Looks like he's found somewhere better to go for breakfast too!

• And at the risk of boring everyone, here's one more.