Great Tit action photography

Hello dear all,

Over the last month or so, a pair of Great Tits has decided to nest on our balcony. We rescued the female, presumably, last year after she got entangled in some microplastics she had used to build her nest in the same box. On some of the pictures you can see her missing the toes of her right claw. A few decent pictures were taken, and I figured the Great Tit community would enjoy them.

Cheers, Bas.

• Hello Linda,

I have not touched the nest its-self, not with a finger. You should suggest to your lawmaker to include the definition of cleaning out a nestbox and clarify whether removing decaying remains constitutes cleaning out and/or interference.

Oxford states that interference constitutes 'intervention in a situation without invitation or necessity'. The UK Government website, which includes references to Scotland, appears up-to-date. I did not clean out the nestbox, I removed remains that could have threatened the future of five other chicks. The parents had already partly removed the body and moved it physically outside the nesting area.

However sad, I allowed nature to take it's course initially, so Mom and Dad could show their offspring what to do in a situation like that.

I broke no law.

Cheers, Bas.
  • It's not really specific.

Linda257 said:
    community.rspb.org.uk/.../nesting-birds-and-the-law

Here's the only correct one.

Then there is also governmental guidance on what to do when you find a dead animal.

Plus common sense.

• Bassi said:

Hello Mike,

Already did most of what you suggested. One remark:

When uploading a photo, the image pixels in the instructions you reference to relates to the pixel dimensions as the photo is displayed in the posting. Once posted, a higher resolution is available when clicking the picture. Full resolution of the uploaded image (with a maximum file size of 5 MB per picture) is available when selecting the zoom button in the upper left of the browser window after you have clicked the posting image. This is what I have learned so far by exploring your site.

I suggest you include this in future guidelines, as it will allow members to enjoy image quality when so provided. Maybe include image resolution as (linked) text in the posting to clarify this to those who don't realise this, as it isn't obvious at first glance.

Cheers, Bas.

I welcome your feedback on the instructions.

I chose not to get too deep in what to do and where mainly to keep it simple for those struggling to find there way round. Not everyone is tech savvy, and many do navigate round the sizing without any issues.

Also, you need to adjust both sides of the sizing, because the sizing options do not always facilitate photo/image ratios, and will default to the smaller dimension ratio.

Once a newcomer has grasped the basics, then like yourself, they can ask, or even suggest, further. So hopefully you can appreciate why I've not added that part in.

• Hello all,

Three fledged successfully today and despite some brief interference by a cat, all are still alive and just finished their first dinner in the wild. Two are still in the nest so everybody is accounted for. It was a hectic day for mom and dad, feeding the ones in the trees and the box and frequently having to chase one that decided to go out and discover the entire city. Went missing for a while, but turned back up in the evening. All are now up in the 'home tree'.

Cheers, Bas

• And all five made it through the night.

• Number four and five also just successfully fledged. One is studying historic roofing structures and the other appears somewhat puzzled by the concept of transparency....(o;

• Nice photos Bas l like the bird house and it’s perch. I haven’t been so lucky with my two bird houses I thought I would introduce a perch on mine thinking it might be more attractive for the birds to navigate through the hole.
    It was a bit heath Robinson to be honest but it serves its purpose but alas no birds this year so far.