Buzzard prey

Hi there! I just saw a buzzard drop onto a rat with great force before carrying it off. The large rat was clearly struggling a lot. Can anyone tell me how the buzzards actually kill their prey? I had thought it was instantaneous death (as I believe it is with owls etc)! Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

• I think Buzzards are capable of crushing their prey with their talons but in the past I have seen them start to tear into a small mammal without killing it first similar to falcons do.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Thanks Pete!

I had hoped death would be instantaneous, but clearly it isn't! That's nature I suppose! I appreciate your time and thanks again.
  • I have a very low opinion of Brown Rats so if a Buzzard is flying off with one more power to its talons in my opinion

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Amethyst:

Amethyst said:
    Thanks Pete!

I had hoped death would be instantaneous, but clearly it isn't! That's nature I suppose! I appreciate your time and thanks again.

Sadly nature can be very harsh, and quite often harsh, which may explain the blood thirstiness in humans.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler