Another Vulnerable Pigeon

Hallo all,

I have no particular interest in birds but seven  years ago I posted here asking for advice for a pigeon in my garden which wouldn't fly.

Original post: community.rspb.org.uk/.../vulnerable-pigeon

Strangely an almost identical situation has just happened to my neighbour who called me to help a pigeon she found in her garden unable to fly. Just like before, this pigeon seems healthy with smooth feathers and no obvious injuries and it appears of adult size.  

Just like the last time, I now have this pigeon in a box with a container of water inside and an old towel on the box's floor.

Last time I met someone called MonkeyCheese at Streatham Common Station (South London) to take the pigeon off me to a better future.

This time we could take this pigeon somewhere as my neighbour has a car so could anyone here please give advice about where locally we should take this bird.

Alternatively if MC or anyone else near me (SW16 5UP) would like to meet at the local station like last time I am happy to give them the bird.

Archi S

• Hi Archi, I have sent you an email. Can you bring the pidge to me? I'll email you my address.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• This was taken on a failed flight attempt over 2 hours ago. Since then it has been in the box again, but I've just spoken to MC on the phone and we agreed to give it a another chance to fly off.

So I'm going to do that now and report back.

• He/she looks a bit miserable!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I'm afraid the second flight attempt also failed and it just seemed to be happy sitting or walking on the lawn but no attempt to fly.

This picture is just after it had a sip from the pond. It wasn't much like it wasn't that thirsty.

I've brought it back inside now, not in the box but free in the room. It's calm and sitting by the glass door as if it wants to be outside, but there are too many cats and foxes that also come here to drink from the pond. Ive also wrapped up a warm hot water bottle in a towel and left it by the pigeon, but it prefers being on the carpet. I may take it to MC tomorrow if it still doesnt fly.

• Thanks for update Archi, hope that it can go to MC for ongoing assessment &/or medical treatment to get it fit to fly!

Thanks for taking such good care!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Your quite welcome Wendy.

I couldn't leave it presuming some predator would give it a grizzly end within half an hour or so, and it's also an interesting little adventure or me too.

It's eaten some sunflower seeds I gave it but not drank any more water since being inside.

I may just leave it like that and put it in the box with the wrapped hot water bottle to its side as MC suggested overnight with some water too.
  • Good to know it'll be safe & comfortable!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• G'morning.

The Red Bar Pigeon has spent the night free in the room but never even attempted a flutter.

This morning I re-filled the hot water bottle which is under the white towel and gave the bird more sunflower seeds, flakes of pastry from a pork pie and pieces of pear.

Soon I will take it for another flight attempt in the garden.

It seems fine with me approaching and handling it now and is happy to perch on my finger, or even on my shoulders or head.

• It still didn't fly. It took it out and it simply fluttered off my hand and onto the lawn. It hardly walked around and then sat on the grass for a few minutes until I took it back inside.

I don't know what may be wrong with it but I will probably pass it over to MC when he returns back from work.

• Thanks for update & ongoing care Archi, will be good to have MC's take on what might be ailing this poor bird!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr