Having a Good Hare Day

Walking to a known good place to see hares near home today my wife I were rewarded with 8 or 9 hares sitting in a field. We were watching from a well screened footpath and the hares got up and started to chase each other about. We were well hidden enough for 2 of them to come straight towards us and then across in front without seeing us. The only down side for viewing was they were coming at us with the sun behind them so my best pictures were of them going away from us.

To view these pictures at their best you may need to click on the magnify icon and/or zoom function.

Trevor

• Thanks Tony, I'll have to experiment on my next post.

Regards Trevor
  • I returned to the field with the hares a week later and they were still there. It was late afternoon this time so the sun was behind me so much better lighting but they were further away.

The result was better lit photos but not quite so sharp but given how far away they were I'm happy with the results and until last week I'd never seen hares boxing.

Trevor

• What great photo captures of the boxing hares, something I have never seen although I have seen quite a few hares. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow, those are terrific photo, Trevor. I've never seen hares boxing either. I used to think it was rival males having a punch up but as I'm sure most people now know it's the females fending off amorous males - such is life.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Fabulous photos again Trevor I have never seen them boxing either, this experience will stick in your memory, well done
  • Mad as a March hare, they say, so they've got the timing right! Excellent photos. I don't get them nearby (as far as I know) but I may try to find some when we can expand our range again at the end of the month.

Nige   Flickr

• Brilliant photos Trevor.

I've yet to see boxing hares, that said, its rare I see hares, except when I've been up in the mountains.

• Walking the local footpaths at the weekend I got a more usual view of a Hare, running off from cover near the path. For a change I was quick enough to fire off a few speculative shots at the running Hare and had a rare success at panning and captured a couple of reasonable pictures. With the ISO set too low for a cloudy day at 125 and a shutter speed of 1/125 second they're better than I had any right to expect. Other sightings that day were Yellowhammers, some Linnets and unusual for me around here, a Reed Bunting.

Trevor

• More cracking photos Trevor I like the third one down of the hare with not one foot on the ground, now that’s flying Lol
    You have some wonderful wildlife near you and you certainly make the most of it.
  • You sort of get in the habit of high ISO or speed or both and neglect to use panning with a slower shutter speed ... or at least I do but it can give lovely effects on moving subjects, like a high speed Hare.

Nige   Flickr