Raven attacking me

Hi,

I'm after some advice, I'll start with a little backstory.

During the summer I started noticing a raven visiting the field where I walk my dog, it was magnificent. I'd never seen one before so was in awe. After seeing it a few times I wanted to take a photo to show my partner.

I walked a bit closer to get a good shot but then it flew towards me. I took a few steps back and it landed in front of me and just boldly started walking towards me. I got a little bit freaked out so my dog ran towards it to ward it off me. Well that caused chaos. It took flight and started swooping above our heads and chased me off the field. I had to hide in a bush to catch my breath but when I emerged it was still waiting for me. It followed me all the way home.

I assumed that was the end of it but no, it knows where I live and has even tried to steal my cats food. I can't leave my door open because it sits on top of it and I'm scared it gets in the house.

Since then if I go to the field and it is there it will chase me off, it's a pretty big field so I try to keep to the side it's not at but it still flies over as soon as it spots me.

Tonight it had me in tears because it was waiting at the entrance to the field and when I threw my dogs ball it picked it up and then flew at my face. It is absolutely massive and terrifying. I called my partner to join me and as soon as he turned up it left me alone. 

I need to walk my dog and she loves going to the field but I don't know what to do anymore. Is there some way I can scare it off? I just want it to leave me alone. I'm sure it's enjoying playing with me and it's no longer about territory but some kind of game.

Tl;dr Raven chases me everytime I go to the field with my dog, want advice on how to get it to leave me alone.

• Hello Saximania, what a lovely read. Glad that in the end the bird is wanting to be friends with you and your dog and not attack you both. You will have to save your pennies to keep up a stock of Hobnobs or Digestives, as suggested, to feed Ricky.
  • Great story, Saxamania, and it is good to hear that the Raven simply wants to be friends. Looking forward to your next encounter with the Raven. Also, your dog is beautiful--thanks for the video link.
  • So I've been going to the field with a pocket full of hobnobs and we've made friends. When we get there he swoops over and plays with the dog and then wants a biscuit. He was a bit intense today and kept following me, taking a bit of biscuit to bury in the grass and then coming back for more. He also tried to land on me a few times but I'm not brave enough to let him yet.

My only concern is what if I run out of biscuits? If I ignore him he caws and keeps flying in front of me.

After some googling I'm going to buy some monkey nuts, apparently they like to open the shells and work for their food. I'd rather give him something healthy than an abundance of hobnobs.

Thank you for everyone that responded and gave me the courage to stand my ground, I can now walk my dog in relative peace (as long as I have hobnobs).
  • Well done Saxamania

Thanks for updating, 'damned if you do, damned if you dont' scenario.....CHOL:):)

Always amazes me how quickly, wildlife soon adapt and ( like our feline friends) soon tell us who is Boss CHOL:):)

Am sure others will have some tips to help.
  • Well done Saxamania. You now have a new friend, all be it a bit of a pest now! Hopefully the Monkey Nuts will work as you can carry many of those in your pocket and a bit more nutritional!