Hi I thought I'd share some of my pictures from my kitchen window sill over this year. All taken on my mobile phone, I've been just feeding with sunflower seeds and peanuts. I just wondered if during the winter I should start feeding them something

• I have some pictures of woodpeckers and goldfinches but I can only load 3 on the post
  • Hi Carrie welcome to the community from Sheffield.
    What lovely visitors you are getting it also looks beautiful scenery behind them too.
    You should be able to post more than three at a time but what you have to watch with mobile shots is the size of them, there is a 4mb file size so any photo over that wont post.
    If you want to add more into your thread click the "use rich formatting" link under the last reply or under your original post.
    Shout if you want a hand.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thank you
  • Well done.
    Love the GSW with a youngster and you did well to get the Moth with your phone.
    Regarding food over wither most of us find sunflower hearts to be the most popular, you could put whole peanuts out for the Jays etc and crushed ones for the smaller birds and just a cheap mix out for Mr Pheasant.

My Flickr photos

• That's a lovely set of pictures Carrie. I'm proper jealous of your jay, and the woodpeckers so close!
  • Hi Carrie, what lovely photos in a stunning setting and fabulous species of birds to watch.    We used to get a similar variety in our last garden having lots of oak trees.    The Jays, as well as loving peanuts, will also enjoy raw pastry;   plain flour (no salt added), lard  (I used to buy supermarket own brand).    You can crush up some peanuts and add a handful of mild cheddar cheese to the mix or sunflower hearts or even suet pellets, bind with just enough water to pull the pastry together without it being sticky and then place bits of the raw pastry on the twigs/shrubs or place in a fat-cake or fat-ball feeder and not only the Jays will love it but the tit birds will too.    

Here's a photo of one of the Jays enjoying his share of the raw pastry which had berry suet pellets, kibbled peanuts and a little bit of mild cheddar cheese in it !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Hello Carrie, welcome from Caithness up a the very top of Scotland. What a lovely secretion of photos you have there. Love Mr Percy Pheasant strutting his stuff!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hello Carrie, great photos and lovely to see the Woodpeckers so clearly. Yes most of us feed the birds more during the winter when the food is hard to find for them, sunflower hearts is very popular and pastry also as Hazy said.

Lot to learn

• Hello Carrie, great photos and lovely to see the Woodpeckers so clearly. Yes most of us feed the birds more during the winter when the food is hard to find for them, sunflower hearts is very popular and pastry also as Hazy said.

Lot to learn