Long Tail Tits: How can I attract them to my garden?

• Done .... took a bit longer to drill / chip out the holes, but got there. Filled with pastry dough n' a few extras.

Just need the flock of long tailed tits to notice it now  Thanks again Alan.

• Well done Boothy, looks brilliant, all the birds will appreciate it during this colder spell of weather, especially the "lollipops" !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks  hahahaha .... yeh ... hope they like the grub n' dough lollies too 

• In reply to Boothy99:

Boothy99 said:
    hahahaha .... yeh ... hope they like the grub n' dough lollies too

Lollipops is a community term for Long Tailed Tits ………….. ie.,   they look like a blob on a long stick      LOL

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Dohh .... now I know, ta. What a great name for them :-)
  • In reply to Boothy99:

Boothy99 said:
    Dohh .... now I know, ta. What a great name for them :-)

My fault Boothy as I didn't explain the nickname properly.      They are such cute little birds, always a delight to see as they constantly chatter to one another keeping in close contact.     

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, but been an RSPB member for a good number of years.
    There is a group of 5 or 6 Long-tailed Tits that visit my fat feeder several times a day and one of them appears to have lost most of its tail feathers (its tail is about the length of a Blue Tit's).
    Does anyone know if this will cause any problems to the bird, maybe with balance or anything else?
  • Hello Peasie and welcome to the community;    although the Long Tailed Tit has lost most of its tail feathers they will eventually grow back later on in the year when they go into moult following breeding season and the bird should manage fine despite the shortness of tail feathers;    there was a post recently with photo of another LTT which had length off the tail.   HERE  - 11th photo down.      

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazy,
    Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply.
    The tit in that photo looks almost exactly like the one on my garden, reassuring to know that it will be fine after moulting, they are one of my favourite small birds!
    Regards,
    Peasie.