new bins

Hellow everyone

We would like to splash out on a new pair of bins but not really sure what sort to get.  Can anyone give advice as to what would be the best type for birding i.e. magnification size etc. Looking at not more than a £100 or should we be paying more?

• Unknown said:
    it would be nice to be able to have a good all rounder  that would do everything wouldn't it.

Hi BBB, yes - a camera, camcorder, and bins all rolled into one, fully automatic, point and shoot.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Susan H said:

it would be nice to be able to have a good all rounder  that would do everything wouldn't it.

Hi BBB, yes - a camera, camcorder, and bins all rolled into one, fully automatic, point and shoot.

[/quote]

How Brilliant would that be LOL

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed.

•  

Hi,

for walking about and bird table watching maybe Compacts are the way to go :)

Bausch and Lomb compacts-  7x26 are small and neat - the Bushnell 7x26 is essentially the same binocular.

The RSPB often stock nice compacts at their reserves- certainly they have nice ones at Titchwell on occasion.

Alternatively a nice small pair of 8x30s or 8x32s would do nicely.:)

Check this site - :))

-http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/RSPB_Binoculars.html?source=ggleppc&gclid=CKXQkaG0658CFV1d4wod9m3pYw

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

•  

Hi,

Zeiss have brought out a scope/ digi camera combo. I tried it last year. Not bad but pricey

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• seymouraves said:

Hi,

for walking about and bird table watching maybe Compacts are the way to go :)

Bausch and Lomb compacts-  7x26 are small and neat - the Bushnell 7x26 is essentially the same binocular.

The RSPB often stock nice compacts at their reserves- certainly they have nice ones at Titchwell on occasion.

Alternatively a nice small pair of 8x30s or 8x32s would do nicely.:)

Check this site - :))

-http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/RSPB_Binoculars.html?source=ggleppc&gclid=CKXQkaG0658CFV1d4wod9m3pYw

S

Hi I mentioned earlier in the thread, I see double with my binoculars is this because they are a cheap pair of binoculars, I do focus each lens so I can see clearly out of each eyepiece, but when I open both eye's I see double, I wondered is this a common complaint, and why you can get monoculars, for us people who see double, or is it just cheap binoculars.

• Rockwolf said:

Ooh, good luck Kezmo! I wouldn't like to have to choose a pair of new bins... (I also initially thought you were after storage containers!!). I am VERY fortunate to have my grandfather's Carl Zeiss (8 x 32) bins which are superbly clear!! He gave them to me before he died as he knew that with my interest in wildlife I'd get plenty of use from them so they are extra special to me!! :-)

If you mean Carl Zeiss 8x30 Jenoptems then they are a classic pair of bins - brilliant design, weight and clarity and superb if you don't wear glasses.

:)

S

• I  recently bought new bins but couldn't afford to spend very much so after much research and trying out in RSPB shops and high street shops I bought a pair of Viking Vistron 8 x 42.  They are good enough for my part -time birdwatching and they have nice bright views compared with my old ones.  They are a little heavy so I keep them handy at home and use them for garden birdwatching when weight isn't an issue.  I then wanted a lighter pair for my holiday in Australia and bought a pair of Opticron Discovery 8 x 32.  These are smaller and lighter and I use them when I go out walking.  Again nice bright views and both models can be used with or without specs, you just twist the eyecups up or down to suit.  I do both so I know it works but I must admit it is better without the specs.  Both models cost approx £130. 

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

•  

Hi-

once again..:)  Bungie strap ;))) - http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1269

S

•  

Hi,

cheap binoculars can easily be knocked out of alignment. It's more likely that's the problem rather than your eyes.  Check it out by looking down someone elses Bins :)

S

• seymouraves said:

Hi,

cheap binoculars can easily be knocked out of alignment. It's more likely that's the problem rather than your eyes.  Check it out by looking down someone elses Bins :)

S

Thanks for that S, that makes alot of sense, being cheap binoculars I let my two sons use them, and one of them being a 3 yr old, they have had a lot of knocks. Just got to find someone with some bins now.