Disinfectant

I currently use Ark Klens disinfectant after cleaning my birds feeders with hot soapy water just to be safe as I have a lot of visiting birds. I am looking at switching to Safe4 (the normal odourless concentrate) for financial reasons and because it looks like it covers more than the Ark Klens. Does anyone know what dilution rate would be required? I can’t work it out from their charts Sob

or has anyone got any alternatives? Just not bleach or anything dangerous to cats as they do hang around when I’m cleaning!

• Hi Bella, I have had a look and found the instructions for Safe4 odourless disinfectant.

Most animal carers who use Safe4 Disinfectant Cleaner, choose it because:
    It is the only product in the veterinary sector with DEFRA approval against three orders in all four fragrances (Tuberculosis Orders, Diseases of Poultry Order and the Avian Influenza and Influenza of Avian Origin in Mammals Order & General Orders)
    There is no need to rinse away with water after application as animals can come into contact with the disinfectant whilst still wet
    It does NOT contain harmful Phenols, Aldehydes or Alcohol
    It is NON-toxic, NON-staining, NON-tainting and a NON-irritant at all working dilutions
    It is kind to the environment, as it is water-based and biodegradable
    It is manufactured in the United Kingdom and efficacy tested by recognised UK laboratories
    For daily usage use concentrate at 1:100 ratio, to kill Viruses, Fungi and Bacteria.

For confirmed outbreaks or in areas of deep concern use the concentrate at 1:50 or 1:10 depending on the disease.

A 900ml concentrate will make 180 units of 500ml ready to use trigger sprays

Please check our safety data sheet, our test results and dilution guide

Data Sheet: Disinfectant Concentrate

For more info visit : Info & Training

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Ok thanks so 1:100 would be adequate. Are there any avian diseases that require 1:50? We seem to have a pigeon suddenly show up with a swollen neck (literally looks like it’s swallowed a mouse, can’t find any illnesses that match!) so really trying to ensure hygiene is top notch.

• I wonder if your pidge is a male making advances to females around, they can swell their necks in this way!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr