Nesting box plate...

Hi all,

I put a bird box with camera up at the end of Feb which immediately (less than 24 hours) caught the attention of a pair of blue tits... 

They have been (slowly) bringing moss and grass in for the past 2 weeks now, and are still at it...

They have also been chomping at the hole which started at 32mm but is now somewhat larger.

I have since read that a 25mm hole is best for Blue tits to protect against predators and nest raiders, so I have purchased a metal plate...

However, I am now concerned that retro fitting the metal plate may disturb them?

The box is under beneath a first floor soffit so the only predators/raiders would be other birds.. 

Any thoughts/advice appreciated. 

Garry

• Unfortunately, it's too late to fit the plate now. Hopefully, it'll be ok up where it is. It does sound in full view though, so it may attract a great spotted woodpecker. They can get in, even with a plate fitted. If you have house sparrows, they may try to take it over. Either way, nothing can be done until Summer.
  • Thanks for the response Robbo...

Habitat is off the mark for a Woodpecker unless they are happy in suburbia

Sounds like Sparrows could be a threat though...

Will keep a close eye on things, particularly if we are lucky enough to get some chicks...