Peahen

I think this is more common than I think, but a peahen (I think they’re called) has appeared in our garden. The weather is wet and cold, she’s been walking around our quite large garden for a couple of weeks. We have no idea where she has appeared from. We have asked around our local area if she belongs to anyone, but no one has claimed her. She is not aggressive and comes right up to our windows and doors.

we don’t want to encourage her, but we feel soo sorry for her too. Can anyone advise what we should do about her please. We have no idea where she goes of a night time, but she looks bedraggled this morning as is been raining all night, poor thing. Btw we are nature lovers, we feed the birds regularly etc etc, but she’s a big bird that we would rather not encourage to stay. Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

• Hi Nenone
    She looks a lovely bird, are you on facebook where you could post on any local groups to see if anyone has lost her.
    There is a website here with info about them www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/.../peafowl_peacocks.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thank Alan. Yes we have already used Facebook to see if anyone claims her but unfortunately, although others have seen her in their gardens too, they do not know who owns her. But thank you for your suggestion. She is still with us and it’s now snowing here bless...
  • If she is visiting other gardens I'm sure she is getting fed even if you are not putting food out.

My Flickr photos

• Are there any large houses/country parks or Zoos in your are that could have lost her?

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Well she is surviving so must be eating something I guess. I just feel soo bad not feeding her, but from what I read from your link and others if we do we could become responsible for her and although she isn’t noisy at mo, she might become later in the year, she might even get destructive and we don’t want to be held responsible for all that.

No, others large houses around here but not with country estates and certainly not manor houses, so I don’t think she’s that local. Maybe a few small holdings dotted around this area and farm land.
  • Whereabouts are you? If you Google Peacocks in your area does anyone come up who already has some that could take her.

My Flickr photos