Leica Apo Televid 82 sharpness?

I very recently traded in my 20+ years old Leica Televid 77 scope for a s/h Apo Televid 82,  I find I am a little disappointed with the image sharpness ( or lack of).  I am 72 years old now and I am uncertain whether or not it's the scope or my eyes that are not up to the mark.  I bought the scope online from a reputable dealer many miles away from my home near Sleaford.  I would like to have a second opinion on the scope (business or private) but obviously that is not possible due to the current lockdown situation.  If the scope is functioning below par I would be willing to go the extra financial mile and trade it back in for a brand new 82.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? 

I wish now I had bought new and to hell with the pennies.

• Sorry to hear about the disappointing performance from the scope; I'm sure if, as you say, you dealt with a reputable dealer (assuming you can still contact them during this restrictive lockdown and many shops shutting their doors) they would be happy to discuss your concerns and perhaps offer to take it back in exchange for another or purchasing a new one. Is there anyone else in your household that could test out how good the clarity is from this scope; I know my eyes have deteriorated so badly that the diopter on my camera doesn't adjust far enough to correctly bring things into focus for me.
  • Thanks for your response Hazel, I have already raised the issue with the vendor and asked for an extension of the usual 3 months s/h warranty which has been agreed because he understands that I am not able to get out and about for the foreseeable future. Yes I could ask him to take it back against the purchase of a brand new scope (same model) but if it is my eyes which are failing then I could be in the same position but minus a few more pounds (£).

My family members are not experienced with optics so would not be able to help.

Looks like I shall have to bide my time until we are free to roam again.
  • Good luck Nev and glad the vendor has extended the warranty for you which is only fair considering this unexpected lockdown.
  • Hi

two suggestions :)

If you have binoculars then put up a newspaper down the garden and look at it with the bins and the scope-
    this comparison should tell you if your eyes are the problem :

If its the scope then take it back ASAP after lockdown

:)

S
  • Thanks for the comments, I did something like you have suggested S. I set the L.82 on the tripod with my little Minox MD50 15-30x zoom eyepiece with both scopes set at 30x and focused on a timber power line pole 150 mtrs away, light conditions were very good.

I could read the yellow warning sign with the Leica reasonably well after a bit of head movement and the Minox was almost as good. Obviously the Leica won with light gathering and colour rendition.

I have now in fact returned the s/h L.82 and the vendor has given me a very good deal against a brand new L. 82 which comes with 10 yr warranty. It should arrive tomorrow.

Regarding Minox, I use a pair of 8x42 Minox bins which are really sharp and this prompted me to buy the small MD50 pocket sized scope I used for comparison. Great value in my opinion.

Nev.