Wood Pigeon

Hi,Just a bit of information needed. My wife rescued a wood pigeon that had been attacked by a cat, then after by a magpie. It’s back was badly scratched with the back feathers torn out- seeing vet tomorrow but it’s now stood up and looking perky- the left wing and tail feathers have been stripped about 1-2” from the base- assuming there’s no infection would the plume grow back, and if not could it fly again. 

• Well done to your wife for spotting and rescuing the Wood pigeon;   good of you to get a vet to see it just in case it has a wound which could become infected.      As for tail feathers they and other birds will go through a natural moult later in summer and gain new feathers - read more HERE ,

• Thanks Hazel, that’s very reassuring. The feathers are still there, it’s the plumage that’s been scratched off at the base- I guess from what you say, the feathers would still need to be replaced during the moult. Maybe a stupid question, but assuming all goes well, could he fly with partial loss of plumage at the base of the Tail and left wing feathers, or is it best to keep it until it has its full set....... currently in a dog cage, seems happy.
    Regards
    Austin
  • Hi Austin, I guess it really depends on how much feather loss it has sustained, especially to the wing area, I think many birds may lose tail feathers and still fly quite well. Hopefully the vet will advise you best course of action and if the pigeon needs rehab you could opt to look after it yourself with advice from a rescue centre or they may be able to arrange for its care with a volunteer. Hopefully towards end summer/autumn the wood pigeon will be sporting a new set of feathers. It is natural for birds to moult as feathers sustain wear and tear throughout the year, especially during breeding season, building nests, rearing chicks, etc., so are naturally replaced. Thanks again for caring and your efforts for this bird and good luck.