I’ll chafinches.

We have seen three sickly chaffinches over the course of two weeks, two of which died. Another one seems to be weak and has trouble flying any distance. Has anyone else come across this? We can’t  get near enough to check her and I’m very worried. Also it seems odd that they are all chaffinches.

• Hello Debbie,    take a look at THIS recent post as it may give you a possible answer to your question although without photos it is difficult to say what exactly has caused the illness as there could be several reasons.      Trichomonosis seems to be more common in finches and it spreads easily, hence several can die.      Remove all food and especially water dishes and give the general area a good clean to reduce the contamination.     Birds can find natural foods during spring/summer, early autumn months so you don't have to worry about feeding them at the moment.    You will find links to information on my reply.      

• Thanks so much for that Hazel. I did wonder as I remember when Greenfinches had something similar.
  • I’ve just read your link Hazel, it sounds exactly like the symptoms they were exhibiting. It’s so sad.
  • So sorry to hear that Debbie, it's distressing to see sick birds in the garden and all you can do is minimise the spread by removing all feeders/food/water dishes. This will disperse the birds and help cut the spread of the disease. In time you will be able to welcome back your lovely garden visitors.
  • Thanks Hazel, I’m concerned though as there are a row of feeders all the way down from our house to the end and some the other way, so I don’t know where the infection will have come from.
  • Hi Debbie, if it is the trichomonas parasite it spreads through regurgitated food containing the parasite that other birds pick up when they eat the discarded food. Hence it is best to withdraw all food and water so it disperses the birds and they are not in close contact as the eat. Birds will manage quite well without our help during spring, summer and early autumn months as there's plenty of natural foods for them to find.

• I see. How long do we have to do this for?
  • I used to remove feeders for around one month to be on the safe side; it helps disperse the sick birds who will sadly eventually succumb to the disease as they are not able to take in enough food and become weaker and more lethargic. Finches tend to be flock birds hence the transference is greater as the birds tend to remain in groups as they feed. It is important to ensure there is no water dish as they need to drink more than normal due to the blockage in their gullet and this is another way for birds to pick up the parasite. I know it is disappointing not to be able to feed birds in your garden as it is such a pleasure to watch them but remember you are withdrawing food for the safety of the birds and the healthy birds will find food elsewhere away from more danger of picking up this parasite from the regurgitated food. Hopefully, in time you will be able to put your feeders back up and continue to enjoy watching the garden visitors. Good luck.