Anyone know this bird seen on Anglesey, south Stack?

• Hi Patsy, do you have any other photos you can show us as the bill doesn't look right and wonder if it is part shadow making it look longer. The only bird I can think of with those plumage colours/markings and black cheek is a male Northern Wheatear

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    The only bird I can think of with those plumage colours/markings and black cheek is a male Northern Wheatear

That was the conclusion I was coming to as well. However, it appears to be in spring plumage. If the photo was taken recently you wouldn't expect it to look like that. At this time of year they lose the grey and black plumage and have an overall orange/brown appearance.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    That was the conclusion I was coming to as well. However, it appears to be in spring plumage. If the photo was taken recently you wouldn't expect it to look like that. At this time of year they lose the grey and black plumage and have an overall orange/brown appearance.

Yes, I agree Tony as doesn't say when the bird was seen on south stack so maybe it was taken a few months ago.     Will see if there are any other photos or details as to when pic was taken.   

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks, thought it might be a young seabird as it was by the coast. But that makes sense as the photo was taken in June. No other photos I'm afraid.
  • I think that confirms it, Patsy. In June you would expect a male Wheatear to have that plumage. I was a bit puzzled as I'd assumed it was a recent photo when it would have looked quite different.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I agree it does look a bit weird, Bob. I think Hazel mentioned it might be some sort of shadow effect on the pipe the bird is perched on. No disrespect to Patsy but photos of birds taken on phones are not the best.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream