Behaviour of blue tits prior to nesting

I’ve recently placed a camera in one of my bird boxes, and blue tits are in and out investigating, however they also spend time pecking around the metal rim of the entrance hole.

is this typical, does it indicate a real interest in this particular box (which is new)

the old box they just go in to and look out 

I’ve just filmed a blue tit in the box for over 10 mins

• So the blue tit for the first time has been in and out of the box, it’s now spending longer periods in the box, This evening it’s been in there for over 45min exploring, chipping away at the camera and ultimately just resting quietly.

Should I be hopeful that this is a sign that she has decided on this box, and when will they start bring nesting materials to the box?
  • Hi Rob welcome to the community from Sheffield.
    I don't have a box with a webcam in it so you will have to wait for someone with more experience to tell you what is happening regards in the box.
    But they are well known for marking around the opening of the box, not sure if it is to show the box has been taken or not though.

My Flickr photos

• Thanks Alan, well things have moved on as you can see from my last post. The blue tit is in the box and has settled there for well over an hour now, she left on a couple of occasions but choosing to stay longer after each visit.

I’m just wondering (who-male or female) will begin to bring nesting materials. I’m aware it’s still early, but hey I’m chuffed

This camera was a birthday pressie a year ago, but I’ve only just managed to set it up
  • I take it he/she hasn't been spending the night in the box over winter then?

My Flickr photos

• I’ve been away skiing over last week, so no idea, but it certainly looks like he/she is now resident
    I’d post a video or pic, but not sure if I can on here
  • For videos you need to put them on youtube first them link them into your thread, to add photos here use the rich formatting link at the side of the reply box..at the minute you cannot use the last reply box (they are trying to fix it)

My Flickr photos

• Well the bird has been staying over night for a week, my they sleep for alomost 13 hours. The general activity I’m seeing now during the day light hours is revisiting the box fleetingly inside, pecking around the box continually when visiting.
    No sign yet of bringing any nesting materials, or is that much later in the month
  • A bit later on Rob,but the way the seasonal weather is getting earlier, they could be soon. Yesterday I saw 3 Great Tits flitting about on the ground flicking through leaves, 1 took off with a leaf.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks for the response, it’s been lovely waking up with little bird in the morning, watching it look bewildered as it scans the inside of the bird box
  • In reply to Catlady:

I see your from Caithness, we used to have a house in Helmsdale (wife’s granny) and my cousins for many years lived in Thurso, both were regular summer holidays for my family.
    We regularly went bird watching up the Strath in Sutherland, however when granny past, the house was sold, so we’ve not been for a few years., which is sad as it’s my favourite place