Binoculars (beginner)

Hi all, I've recently begun to take a proper interest in birdwatching. I've observed birds that visit my feeders over the past couple of years, as well as on walks etc., but I've decided to purchase a pair of binoculars and dedicate some more time to it.

I'm guessing I'm not the first to come here and ask for your advice, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you could spare some! Reading through past threads, it appears 8 x 42 or 10 x 42 would be the correct magnification I'm after - I'd be doing most of my watching looking out across RSPB Rainham Marshes.

I came across these on eBay, which look a steal at £25 considering they're Bushnell and in good condition:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bushnell-8-x-32-Powerview-Binoculars/282845884664?hash=item41daedb0f8:g:wBUAAOSwm0JagcCL

Although, they might be too small a magnification?

I'm watching some Opticron 10 x 42, too.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• As regards binoculars, I would say that you need to try a few & see how they feel to you. Some are heavier than others, some you have to turn the wheel a long way to change between a butterfly & distant bird (so it's gone by the time it's in focus). The x8 has a bigger field of view generally than a x10, so more chance of spotting that Skylark somewhere up there!

I believe that the birdfairs often have bins to try (& buy) but if you're looking at 2nd hand it would be better to try them first, than get them sent in the post.

As for paragraphs, there is a liitle note on the bottom RHD corner called "Use Rich Formatting" & it opens up all sorts of possibilities. Not sure if this is automatic or you have to ask for it! Wait for others advice on this.

• Thanks for the advice Noisette, both binocular-wise and formatting-wise! 

I checked on the Birdfair website and it seems the next one is August, 2018. Looks like there's one at London's Wetland Centre in April, but I'd like to get going sooner than that. I'll perhaps see if there are any camera shops nearby and try some out that way.

• Is there a shop at the Rainham Marshes site? If not perhaps you could sit in the hide & look for a friendly face with a pair of bins & ask for advice?

• I would certainly endorse Noisette's view that you should try before you buy. There's nothing like having them in your hands to see how they suit you. Apart from the image quality things to look out for is how easy it is to adjust eye-relief for when you do or don't wear eye glasses. Also, whether you can adjust the dioptre for differences in the vision of your separate eyes. Minimum focussing distance is also worth considering if you want to look at butterflies/dragonflies etc.

They only have a few outlets around the country but InFocus is a pretty good place to try out binoculars under field conditions. They usually have a fairly good range and do have some secondhand ones. I think the nearest shop to you is probably at the London Wetland Centre (Barnes). The only problem might be that it is inside the Centre which may mean you have to pay for admission unless you are a member of WWT.

I can't remember whether the visitor centre at Rainham Marshes has a shop but if they do they might let you try some out or at least give advice. 

Good luck, I hope you find something to fit your budget.