Birds ID Insights

I have only had this book a few hours and I haven't used it in anger but there are only 2 words that I can say about it.  "Buy it".

My ID Guides sit on the shelf or in the car and like most people tend to come out to be used once you have seen something you can't identify properly and then it is probably too late.   This book does come at ID from a new perspective, comparing difficult birds against each other in a very simple but concise way, without (in the main) all the feather formula that other guides throw at you.  Just reading quickly through it, it is clear that this guide will be used much more than the others put together.

Gulls are always a problem for me, particularly all those 'herring gull' lookalikes.  In the usual guides you get lots of gull pictures on a few pages. In this guide lots of pictures on about 20 pages but most importantly excellent and concise pointers as to what you are looking for.  That applies to all the species listed.

If this is the book that Seymouraves had some input into, however large or small, he should be very proud.

• Sounds like a very interesting and helpful book Bob, thanks for the thumbs up ..........I will take a look;   guessing you bought your copy from Bird Fair ?

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks for that Bob - purely by coincidence I have just spent a couple of days with my brother who lives by the sea and have come back with quite a few gulls which need identifying - I might just have to invest in that book!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Seymouraves has been plugging this book for some time but I didn't know what it was called or I would have looked out for it. Thanks for the recommendation, Bob. Sounds as though it could be a very useful addition to the birders armoury.

It can be sourced fom here and here and no doubt other bookshops.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I will have to admit to buying from Amazon and one of the stores within that called The Book Depository (I have used them before but others are available). It was delivered in 3 days at just over £11 inc postage.

• Seymour's cover is now blown.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• That's great value Bob and sounds well worth it.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Seymour's cover is now blown.

Oh, I don't think so!   ;o)

Seymour has never claimed to be the main author (or the artist), so even if we do assume that this is definitely the book he has contributed to (which I think it is, even if he never gave the title), his anonymity is still intact - or at least there is a degree of doubt!

I'm looking forward to thumbing through a copy at the bird fair tomorrow (and no doubt I'll be bringing one home!).

• Unknown said:

Seymouraves has been plugging this book for some time but I didn't know what it was called or I would have looked out for it. Thanks for the recommendation, Bob. Sounds as though it could be a very useful addition to the birders armoury.

It can be sourced fom here and here and no doubt other bookshops.

The RSPB shop at the Lodge doesn't have it and hadn't heard of it / didn't know what the term  I.D.  meant  in a birding context  - I checked today.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I got my copy from Amazon today and after just a few minutes flicking through it I can see I'm going to find it invaluable - highly recommended.

I agree with Bob that Seymour can be very proud of having had input into this work.

Ian

• I saw the Editor of the book in the field today and he said the book may need a re-print soon - so if you want one get it quickly before they are all sold out!

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box