Birds ID Insights

I have only had this book a few hours and I haven't used it in anger but there are only 2 words that I can say about it.  "Buy it".

My ID Guides sit on the shelf or in the car and like most people tend to come out to be used once you have seen something you can't identify properly and then it is probably too late.   This book does come at ID from a new perspective, comparing difficult birds against each other in a very simple but concise way, without (in the main) all the feather formula that other guides throw at you.  Just reading quickly through it, it is clear that this guide will be used much more than the others put together.

Gulls are always a problem for me, particularly all those 'herring gull' lookalikes.  In the usual guides you get lots of gull pictures on a few pages. In this guide lots of pictures on about 20 pages but most importantly excellent and concise pointers as to what you are looking for.  That applies to all the species listed.

If this is the book that Seymouraves had some input into, however large or small, he should be very proud.