Keep the Osprey comments seperately on the Loch Garten forum

Simple request really as they contribute massive number of comments all coming onto main forum and if we were interested in them we would join that group.Those of us who go through the main forum picking out what we want to look at find them in ever increasing numbers.Heaven forbid when they nest and we get loads of comments "a fish arrived two minutes ago". 

• I agree.

The time has come to separate the group threads from the main Community list of "latest posts".

Whereas group contributors can go straight to their group to find a list of latest threads, those of us who are simply ordinary forum contributors cannot reasonably do this. Most of us rely on the main Community Home Page list of "latest posts" to do this, but have to fight our way through all the group threads to find them. It is getting beyond a joke!!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Although integrating group threads was done with the best of intentions, when one of them becomes so large that its threads start to dominate the home page it does create a problem for those of us on the main Community.

I would support the notion of separating the group threads from the main Community list of latest posts. After all if you have an interest in a particular group you can join it and check out the latest threads that way.

Failing that, perhaps some way can be found of filtering out threads that you don't wish to see.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    I would support the notion of separating the group threads from the main Community list of latest posts. After all if you have an interest in a particular group you can join it and check out the latest threads that way.

I agree, TeeJay, that it might be a good idea to separate the group threads from the Community page leaving it open to Osprey group members to choose which threads they wish to follow. The down side of that is that I may miss an interesting thread - say- posted to Arne.

Personally I enjoy reading the Osprey threads and would follow them if the groups were separated, but having said that, a couple of mornings ago around 7am every single thread on the home page, bar two, related to Ospreys and this can be frustrating for members who would like to check out topics of more general interest

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Hi all, i've just posted the below comment here where similar discussions have arisen. Hope it clears a few things up.

Firstly, we cannot make any changes to the set up of the main home page without investing in a large lump of cash to add software that would basically split up the site which we would not like to do anyway as it would cause more problems than it would solve.

Those of you out there who are having problemswith navigating beyond the LG posts on the community home page, please be aware that for the other areas of the community such as 'chat' and 'wildlife', each of these groups has its own home page where you can see the most recent posts from all of the forums and blogs incorporated into that group without having to go into each individual forum. You may wish to add these pages to your favourites as these are a key navigation aid. I find these pages really useful when moderating and only dip into the main home page for a quick overview of what's happened across the site in the last few minutes.

TeeJay very kindly set up the forum map to help with basic navigation of the site which has been a great help to many newcomers and established users of the forums. The reserve groups are all under 'places to visit' and all of our reserves with blogs or forums set up are in there, it's pretty self explanatory.

The last thing we want to do is to stifle discussions about the ospreys at Loch Garten but we may have to do a bit of extra moderation, for example if multiple threads appear discussing the same thing, we may merge them, as we do across the rest of the site. Please don't be put off from adding comments by this but if you could all nudge anyone who does start up repeated posts towards threads where the discussions are already active this will hopefully keep everything much more manageable.

Best wishes

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Thanks Ian.

You make it sound so simple! However, for regular users such as myself, it really isn't that simple. I know how to find the Home page for each of the General Interest Sections - Wildlife, Homes for Wildlife, Chat and About, and on each of these 4 home pages there are lists of latest posts within that section. Doing it your way we have to go to 4 different places to scroll through lists of recent posts in each of them in turn. This is frustrating in itself, and like many other general contributors I stick to the main Community Home Page to try to avoid missing anything. So many general interest threads get missed by so many members, which is a shame.

There is clearly no solution to this.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Can never understand how difficult it sounds.When you consider the extreme complicated things computers are capable of in the right hands think a expert would solve the problem in five minutes.Fact is that was the system we had and so the present one is a very bad backward step and no private company would accept going backwards so why do the RSPB.

• Sooty and all the moderators have told you it will cost money but it is not sorted

Why not start topics where people can join in.

"Garden Birds"

"Sea Birds""

"Q&A"

"Raptors"

"RSPB Reserves"

"Identification"

etc

Only an idea and shoot me if you want but I enjoy reading but it would be good to see threads where everyone can join in and contribute :)

• I hope you do not mind but I honestly think to have dedicated threads would be good and maybe more posts than the LG group :) only an idea and I have a lot of other interests in other birds and wildlife also. ony an idea and sure everyone would welcome ideas and not only mine ;)

edit. only an idea an do not think for one minute it will cover everything on the forum but I think it would be good for general use only :)

• Hi Bright and Breezy, all of the topics you mention there are discussed regularly in the various forums and groups on the Community site. All users of the community can start their own threads, tell us about trips or sightings and ask questions wherever they feel it fits the most and if they get it in a place where it isn't that suitable, the moderators move it.

If you wish to have a look around at what is being discussed a good place to start is the Forum map created by TeeJay which has proven to be a very useful tool to help everyone around the site.

Sooty, I explained this earlier that it isn't a 5 minute quick fix, if it were that simple we would have done it already!!!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.