First impressions :)

Hello everyone, it's hawky! You're probably all tired of me flitting around the site, posting everywhere and nagging you for advice, but hear me out! :P 

My first impressions of the site: confusing! I couldn't find the forums for my first few visits as they were hidden behind the blogs. When I did, however, I found a very warm and welcoming community. Everyone is very friendly and offer advice all the time, which is great for a youngen' like me. I have been directed to the best food and feeders, shared previous encounters and even had a go at identifying a bird. Its very easy to settle in here, and I thank everyone who has welcomed me! (especially Doggie, who has basically become a mentor for me! :P)

I actually found the community by accident - I didnt know it existed until I followed a link through to a blog about ospreys here. Its quite hard to find on the RSPB homepage, which I'm not too sure is to keep the community manageable or simply a space issue. Regardless, im glad I found it.

Now onto the grumbly bits - what a confusing layout! I couldnt find the wildlife section as I kept mistaking 'chat' for the forums, but I soon learned the differences. I think a personal blog page would be really good, as you could talk about what you have seen on your day or visit, and also raise issues that might not fit into forums.  This may have been mentioned before - if so, ignore!

Also, perhaps a dropdown menu from the top tabs? (e.g 'Chat' and it drops down all the forums in that section, e.g 'The Tea Rooms')

I was going to suggest more groups, such as fans of a specific type of bird - e.g 'Birds of Prey', or even more specific such as Hawks and Falcons, but this may require too much maintenance (unless there were elected leaders/owners of the group?)

Apart from these tiny gripes, the community itself is great and I look forward to future conversations with my newfound friends!

From your new Junior Pest,
Hawky! 

Junior Humble! 

"it is not only fine feathers that make a fine bird" ~ Aesop

• Hi Hawky

I'm so glad you like the forum,

it is very addictive, & everyone is so helpful & friendly,

the layout can be confusing, have you looked at the "Forum Map"

it is a sticky at the top of the page,

look forward to more chats with you

• Oh dont worry, I know my way around now! It just took a while and can be overwhelming for a newbie :)

But thank you very much for posting!

Junior Humble! 

• Hi Junior Pest!

We all have our gripes about the Community layout, and it took one of our own members (TeeJay) to do a forum map that really should be incorporated under it's own tab on the navigation bar.

Well done for working things out for yourself - and I am so pleased you are enjoying your time here.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi

As others have said great that you are finding your way round. Its defenately laid out very differently to any other forum I've ever visited!!

I find that its best to work out a way that it works best for you. Being dyslexic I find the maps almost impossible to use + if I hadn't already found it a wonderful place to visit; then when it all changed then I'd probably never have stuck it out!!

Th best advice I can give is to put any area; thread of the forum in your favourites then you can access them whenever you want from your own home page.

Thrilled you have stuck out the tricky - getting to know how it works time + are still here!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• I've been favouriting a few things that I frequent (mostly the wildlife section) but I think once you know your way around its okay :P

Very windy and blustery today - saw a little coal tit swirling in the wind! I think he was a bit confused

Junior Humble! 

• Well done Hawky, I still have trouble often!

• Hey guys :)

I think junior pest may become my online personality - I'll add it to my signature so people have warning! haha

Junior Humble!