R.I.P. Good Eggs with no name badges

Hi

I see that the moderators now have new name badges on their posts, but none of the Good Eggs do. Are Good Egg name badges still happening?

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Hi Chris,

Ian has put up a sticky about Good Eggs earlier,

H

• Yes he has, that's where I spotted his new moderators badge, but it's nothing to do with Good Egg name badges for existing Good Eggs. We were originally advised that name badges were being worked on, and that work now seems to be complete.

Best wishes Chris

• Yes indeed, we're moving the good egg award forward after the positive feedback we had from you all earlier in the year. Woodpecker, as a previous recipient of the good egg award we hope that you will get behind the new system and it's benefits to the community as a whole.

Unfortunately we could not take everyones suggestions on board but we feel the new system, as explained in the introductory post, will hopefully put the emphasis on the quality of posts and enable us to reward continued positive contributions to the community.

The badges are now a thing of the past but please consider the good egg forum a hall of fame where your good egg status will be there for all to see.

We will shortly be announcing the first Good Egg Post Award winner.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Are you actually saying that none of the existing Good Eggs will be having a GE name badge even though you have managed to get name badges for Moderators?

Isn't that going back on your word?

How can one post put the emphasis on the quality of posts and enable you to reward positive contributions to the Community?

Best wishes Chris

• You are indeed correct about the Good egg icons, we are saying that we will not be reinstating them. However, in case you missed it in my earlier post, previous good egg award winners will still be recognised in the Good Egg forum/hall of fame and anyone, including current Good Eggs can be selected again!

I hope this clarifies this for you!

Best wishes

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Hi Ian,

I'm afraid I am one Good Egg who isn't behind your new idea. How can ONE post be considered sufficient to warrant that person becoming a Good Egg? Surely a Good Egg must show consistent quality posts. One single post just isn't enough, in my very humble opinion.

You state the criteria you are looking for is:

"We will be looking out for posts that encourage conversation on conservation issues and foster positivity towards wildlife and nature, and the fight to protect it. We hope this will celebrate the variety of conversational posts and encourage new users to talk about wildlife and nature.  

Anyone registered to the community can receive the good egg post award and it can be awarded to the same user more than once. Moderators look at hundreds of posts everyday so make sure yours sticks out in a positive way.

How do we decide which posts are Good egg posts, well here is the criteria;

• Writing something that makes everyone smile
    • Answering others questions
    • Generating conversations about conservation
    • Sharing tips on helping wildlife
    • Posting friendly, welcoming and helpful contributions"

If anyone can post something that contains all those criteria in one post I would be very surprised. If someone answers others' questions correctly but fails to generate a conversation about conservation about it, does this count or not?  Do they only have to answer one question correctly in order for it to be classed as the post of the month? Does someone only have to make us all smile once?

I'm afraid I don't understand, and honestly don't recall this ever being suggested by members.

I also doubt your intentions to look at "hundreds of posts every day". Most of them disappear too fast for that.

I am pleased you have accepted the suggestion that people can receive the award more than once.

As for the Good Egg badges next to our user names, I see the Moderator badge is a simple image. Why can't we have a similar badge with Good Egg rather than Moderator inscribed? I can't see the problem.

Sorry if this is a less than positive post.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. We feel this is the way forward for the good egg award, awarding it to someone’s posts highlights the positive contribution they have made to the forums. It also allows us to push forward our conservation messages and shows how people are stepping up for nature, while we agree many people may only post once, their contribution will be welcome and remember people can win the award more than once. We hope this will encourage users to keep posting positive conservation messages highlighting relevant topics with the RSPB.

Tom

Why not check out the news from the wildlife enquiries team?

• Hi Tom,

So am I right in my understanding that only those who "push forward our conservation messages" and post "positive conservation messages highlighting relevant topics with the RSPB" can become a Good Egg?

Please can you clarify?

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi Sparrow,

Yes, posts that welcome newbies with helpful information, posts that highlight conservation messages and generate positive conversation and post that are generally positive about wildlife and nature are ones we will be looking out for. Remember, the Good Egg will be awarded to the post for that month.

Hope that clarifies,

Cheers,

Tom

Why not check out the news from the wildlife enquiries team?

• Hi Tom,

So really it is the post that is a Good Egg, not the poster? The name of the award needs changing in that case to Post of the Month. A Good Egg needs to be consistently good, not just good on one single occasion.

In my opinion this diminishes the value of the efforts made by existing Good Eggs over a period of time, especially now no-one can see their badge.

Also, what is the point of any award system if no-one can see you won it? A roll of honour buried somewhere no-one looks is not good enough on its own.

I am astounded at this.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr