following

Could anyone explain what the following links are fof?I have had a message saying"*******is following you on the forum" and wondered what it was all about.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi Seaman,

I'm not sure, but I think it's a facility to follow the posts made by your friends. If you look at the activities on the main community page you will see a link that says "people". Press that and all the activities of just your friends will show. You can then see where they have been posting so you can keep in touch with their posts and threads etc.

On your Friends page on your profile, you will also see you can disable this for individual friends if you wish.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• I wondered what it was for too. It sounds a bit sinister like being stalked. Your explanation makes sense though, Linda. I noticed when I clicked on "People" on the front page filter only friends posts appeared.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Yea,TJ,I thought I was lucky enough to have got a stalker as well,thanks for the info Sparrow,

pete

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Susan H said:

I'm not sure, but I think it's a facility to follow the posts made by your friends.

I think this is a feature that can be used not only by your friends but also by any member.  I am being followed by person/s who are not on my friends list, and so I am not able to contact them.  While I don't think any harm is meant, it is a bit creepy.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• I know what you mean, Seaman. At my age I would be duly grateful (I think)

Claire - How do you know if someone is following you apart from your friends?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Claire - How do you know if someone is following you apart from your friends?

I received an RSPB email last Monday saying ....... was following me.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• ClaireM said:
    I received an RSPB email last Monday saying ....... was following me

I've had a couple of those, but they have been new friends. Weird that you got one from someone who isn't a friend. I wonder if that should be reported?

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Friend and follow are different, you automatically follow friends. but you can also follow people who are not. This is useful if you like what someone posts, but don't yet feel you know them enough to "friend" them, remember they cannot pm until you do.

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• mpiekp said:

Friend and follow are different, you automatically follow friends. but you can also follow people who are not. This is useful if you like what someone posts, but don't yet feel you know them enough to "friend" them, remember they cannot pm until you do.

Yes, I can see this now. You can follow someone by accessing their profile and clicking the "follow" link.

I'm not sure I like this! Can you stop someone from following you?

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• I would hope so, I'll get back to you on it.

someone click on follow me who's not in my friends list, I want to see if it will even tell me.

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)