People Pages

I've noticed that once within a Group, you can look at the details and messages on members' personal pages without being signed on - or even having a sign on.

I would guess, most people are unaware of this. Is it what you intended?

• Hi Sue C

Just for info (as I am not a MOD or anything) that is something which is common to a lot of forums and most have a warning note on the lines of "be aware that any information detailed here will be visible to all visitors to the site". I can't remember whether that warning was displayed here when I joined as, because I was already aware of that fact, I didn't make a point of looking for it.

Squirrel

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 03/09/2009 05:19 in reply to Squirrel

Squirrel B said:

Hi Sue C

Just for info (as I am not a MOD or anything) that is something which is common to a lot of forums and most have a warning note on the lines of "be aware that any information detailed here will be visible to all visitors to the site". I can't remember whether that warning was displayed here when I joined as, because I was already aware of that fact, I didn't make a point of looking for it.

Squirrel

Hi Sue

Most Forums have that  'open-ended' facility.  It shows what is available and it adds Forum appeal to new future members.  If all information was blanked of how would people know what the Forum is about.

Squirrel: On other Forums, one thing I do notice is that People's Profiles are shut off form the outside world. That is fair as it is private to the people involved after all.  You can read the posts that are presented and that is all.

The other thing I have seem is the secret society type of Forums, and all the information is covered up.  IMHO that has no appeal at all.  To me I would not join a Forum like that as it looks less inviting to a new member.

So there certain levels of security.

So if I was to say change anything on the RSPB Forum, i would say keep peoples Profiles private to outsiders and the posts/blogs open to read.

Regards

Kathy and Dave