Can This Nonsense Stop

ClaireM

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

•  

Hi-

every forum or website attracts odd characters eventually- and the Mods seem to only be on here from the Lodge not from home. Report the iffy posts,  then ignore them  and they'll be dealt with  tomorrow.

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Have done. Claire

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• seymouraves said:

Hi-

every forum or website attracts odd characters eventually- and the Mods seem to only be on here from the Lodge not from home. Report the iffy posts,  then ignore them  and they'll be dealt with  tomorrow.

:)

S

S,I think this is the right attitude as the forum seems to be attracting a very small number of "nutters" whose only aim seems to be to spoil any enjoyment people gain from the forum.It may pay to check the i.d.profile of users you do not recognise but this may mean some genuine new comers get ignored.I know all forums attract the few oddballs but this one seems to be drawing them in like moths to a light,lets hope they get fed up of being ignored and go back and play with other toys.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi all

Many of you have voiced concerns at unusual patterns of posting so i thought you might all like to know that we are keeping an eye on things to see what develops. Some of the posts may well be from people 'yanking our chain' (unfortunate but unavoidable i'm afraid) however many of them will be from people using the RSPB forum as a 'quick fix', a place where they know they can get an answer to a burning question.

As this forum becomes more widely known we will probably get more people joining who just want a quick answer. If they get a good response from the forum and leave with a positive feeling they are more likely to come back in the future and may even develop into regular contributors. Obviously some won't for whatever reason but that is their prerogative.

So the best way to proceed is to be as friendly and as helpful as you can be to any newbies but if you are uncomfortable or concerned by the post, flag it up with us and we'll take a look to check if it looks genuine or not.

Hope this clears things up a little and keep up the good work!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Ian,thanks for your views on the situation and the advice on how to handle it.I am a comparative newcomer on here ,even though I have been a birder for donkeys years,and generally I have found the forum both helpful and friendly and feel it would be a great shame if this was spoilt by the few who have little better to do but wind people up.Keep up the moderating,it's not an easy job to do without upsetting some even unintentionally.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wait until the sumnmer holidays, that is when things like this end up their worst!