Private Messages

Hi, 

still playing to the fact that I am a newbie on all the forums.  was wondering if the forums allow the use of private messages between subscribers, i've looked around but i suspect that I am missing something.

Apologies if this question has been asked before, i searched and could not find any answers.

in anticipation,

Mark

• Hi Mark

No private messages aren't allowed here.

If you wish to make contact with someone, you need to leave them a message on their ID by clicking on their ID name and then clicking Post a Message. :-)

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Hi Mark

Please see your page for what is the only way of sending a PM (which means Public Message and not Private Message as other forums)

BTW - Great photos to date.

Richard

• I'd been wondering about this as well - it's used a lot on other forums. Makes arranging meets, lending gear etc alomost impossible due to the 'open to the public' nature of messages here. You'd never want to leave an email address, mobile phone nos if meeting up + home address / phone nos on a message as you'd have no idea who was reading them.

Have found as a result that there is a lot of 'cryptic posting' goes on. It means if a member of the community is finding life here difficult, (as some have been lately) it makes it hard to offer support due to the public nature of the messages.

So how open are the messages - who can all see them? Is it only members or are they open to all?

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Ann S said:

So how open are the messages - who can all see them? Is it only members or are they open to all?

The messages on personal profile pages can be read by anyone, including non-registered guests. However, they can be deleted by the "owner" of the profile page at any time.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• No there are private messages on this site. However you can always leave an e-mail address (best one created for the purpose and not your primary one)  or link to Facebook or Twitter. There is a facility for link to your home page and blog site.

• No private messages here so -

I thought I'd add a link to my facebook page on the bottom of my posts not sure how if it will work (if at all) but that seemed to be a fairly safe thing to do. I don't twitter, just blether, so that's not an option!! I'm not sure if its ok for others to access as I have never tried anything like this + the security's what I hope is tightish.

So if this works it might at least offer us a few more options for a private rather than public chat!!

Thanks for the info Sparrow + suggestions Tiger!!

Tiger been following the ospreys after your suggestions. Seems to be a strong  friendly community there!!

• Thanks all for the replies.  

One of my day jobs (I have  few) is that I host websites for mostly corporate types but also for charities and community organisations which I offer very cheaply.  Anyhow, one of the things I can do is provide an e-mail anonymising service.  This is quite simple where you log onto a secure site and get a "one time use" e-mail address that redirects to your real e-mail address.  Good for those sorts of contacts where you do not want to give out your personal details.

If any of you guys think this would be a useful addition to this site and if the moderators agree, I could get something running in the next couple of weeks.  Finding the time is always tricky :-)

There are also many other sites out there as well which do the same just thought that even though I'm a forum youngster, having "one of our own" do it might be more attractive.

Rgds,

Mark

• With regard to posting messages on Members' own pages; Is there any way to track a Forum member down so you can send a message without searching through old forums to find a post they have made?  I don't belong to many forums but I did belong to one where there was a list of members so you could find people but I can't find one on this forum. 

• I'm afraid it's a matter of scrolling through old posts to find people. There isn't a list of members anywhere.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• MarkM said:

Anyhow, one of the things I can do is provide an e-mail anonymising service.  This is quite simple where you log onto a secure site and get a "one time use" e-mail address that redirects to your real e-mail address.  Good for those sorts of contacts where you do not want to give out your personal details.

If any of you guys think this would be a useful addition to this site and if the moderators agree, I could get something running in the next couple of weeks.  Finding the time is always tricky :-)

There are also many other sites out there as well which do the same just thought that even though I'm a forum youngster, having "one of our own" do it might be more attractive.

I enjoy having the freedom that a personal message affords. The forum I use them on most often offers the option to search for the recipient by their user name  + of you go. I Don't use them massively but I think its good to have if you wish to discuss a particular issue with 1 person rather than ? Have used when buying + selling through a forum + for meeting up with some folk locally - for mob nos etc, saves hanging about in case of traffic / change of plans etc. DH uses them all the time to buy + sell hifi etc.

So Mark yes I reckon that what you are suggesting would be a great assett + an added feature to the forum.