Moderation of the Community

Good afternoon,

I thought I would update you all on some of the work we have been doing this week following the recent SPAM issues on the website.

As you know, due to a number of resource constraints here, we are not actively able to monitor the community on a daily basis, but rely on the regular visitors of the community, like yourselves, to alert us of any issues.

We know how important the community is to many of you and we love that you feel so passionately about it and want to maintain standards within it. To ensure we can address the moderation issues, we are currently speaking to all the colleagues who are moderators regarding their involvement in the community and we are also exploring other options to expand the resources of those who are able to moderate content in a more efficient way. Some of these solutions include "out of hours" and weekend support as we know the community is busy all day, every day.

While we work on these solutions, I thought I would reiterate the ideal way to report spam or abusive content on the community and to "flag" the concern to us. The best way to do this, if you are unsure, is in one of the following ways:

1. In the forum thread, next to any of the posts or replies there is a MORE option. Select this and then select the "Flag as spam/abuse" option (see example)

or

2. In a blog or news item select the "Flag as spam/abuse" option in the right-hand column (see example)

Now currently, spam or abusive content is not automatically removed if only one person complains about it; this is to ensure fairness within the community. But, if more than two contributors report it then there are automatic rules that will, in some cases, remove the content immediately.

These rules are based on a number of settings, which we are currently reviewing, but in basic terms, it is to do with the credibility and authority any user has within the community.

This credibility and authority is called a Value Score and is made up of many different things including; the number of posts, likes, time in the community, etc. If the combined Value Score of the people reporting the abuse is higher than the person who has posted the allegedly abusive or spam content, then the post will be automatically removed. If the combined score of the people reporting is lower then the content will remain until it has been reviewed by a moderator and this will follow our standard Moderation escalation process.

To help prevent spam and abusive content from appearing in the first place we have the following things already in place:

1. Registration security (reCaptcha) - which prevents automatic services from registering and posting. Unfortunately, the recent activity is not automated and is actually individuals creating accounts and posting spam content. We could put further measures in place to prevent new registrations from posting immediately, but we feel this would impact those legitimate new users from becoming active.

2. Content filters - we do have filters in place that prevent abusive language or content from being posted and we will continue to monitor these filters to ensure they are as robust as they can be.

We are also reviewing the SPAM filters, which are able to recognise a certain type of SPAM-like behaviour and prevent the post from publishing in the first place.

We hope this update gives you some confidence that, with the limited resources, we are doing all we can to ensure moderation happens as quickly as possible.

Many thanks for your support and understanding,

Elliott 

• Yes found that out also Hazel, when it comes in my notifications, once clicked, it says page not found! You then have to go back to the main page and find it.

edit, also just noticed when I posted the reply, the reply posted but it also comes up as page not found!

• Hi Elliot,

i've just started posting on here and for what ever reason my posts and associated discussions of which there are 2 and my profile has been flagged as Spam and/or abusive.

I or any of the content I post is either of those things, please help me to understand why this has happend and to reverse the current block I have on replying in those threads.

Many Thanks,
  • Hi Elliott

Like Fulgrim above, I have also just been flagged as spam and have been threatened with removal from the community. I do not believe I have done anything wrong but please let me know if you disagree.

The RSPB will not have a flourishing forum if it drives away genuine users.
  • Hi Fulgrim, I can't see anything wrong with your posts (I had a quick look), so I think someone must be going around flagging posts as Spam when they aren't. It sometimes happens by mistake, but usually whoever does it says so & apologises on the thread!
    Hopefully the mods will sort this person out!
  • Hi Noisette / Alan,

Thank you both for your comments, I was just a little shocked to be honest!

Hopefully everything will be sorted and reactivated soon. I've appealed the decisions but thought i'd drop a note in here to. I'm new to the community so wanted to make sure i'm not upsetting anyone.

Thanks again!
  • Hi Noisette / Alan,

Thank you both for your comments, I was just a little shocked to be honest!

Hopefully everything will be sorted and reactivated soon. I've appealed the decisions but thought i'd drop a note in here to. I'm new to the community so wanted to make sure i'm not upsetting anyone.

Thanks again!
  • Hi Fulgrim, funny things seem to be happening! Sorry to read, especially as you are new to us, that you have been de activated, that is not nice. As has been said, many times someone will flag something as spam but they will immediately come on and grovel (Oops apologise). Hope you get sorted quickly.

Last night I flagged as spam, a request for a friend, no idea who it was as they had never posted, also flagged another as it too looked odd.
  • Hi Catlady,

They do indeed. As i said was just shocked to have no only one post but all posts and my account flagged within about 20 minutes. Stopped me posting pretty much anything which was frustrating.

Happy days though i've just heard back on my appeals and it looks like we are all good to go :)

Probably a good idea, if things look odd they usually are!

Thanks all for you help and support :)
  • It appears I spoke to soon, both the above reply from me and my account were both reported again.
  • Sorry that Fulgrim having problems, Tis so sad if it is actually manually being acted, and not Bots etc,

Such oddities, like this thread, keeping showing the page error,Doh!

Hope the Team find answers soon,as am sure other jobs will have been delayed in putting effort into trying to find answers. Sooooooooo annoying.