Moderation of the Community

• In reply to SunnyKate2:

Thanks SunnyKate,

No, the last removal of spam was manual, but I am not sure how many people reported it as spam before I removed it.

We are looking at a number of options for additional resource to cover moderation and community management. As soon as I have more to share on that I will inform the community. Volunteers outside of the RSPB are part of our discussions and we’ve had many offers of help, but need to ensure we have the agreed processes in place before we can move forward.

I will report the issue on the Page Not Found issue. I just got the same problem too.

Many thanks.

Elliott.
  • In reply to SunnyKate2:

SunnyKate2 said:
    Kept getting page error for this thread , when clicking last post doh!

Same here Kate, only on this new thread for me though ... if you click on original post it opens up then just scroll through to last post!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Elliott B:

Elliott B said:
    I will report the issue on the Page Not Found issue. I just got the same problem too.

A further new problem with this thread Elliot ... After posting reply to Kate I clicked on main website then community to return to main menu & got page not found then ... but my comments were posted OK!

EDIT:  same thing just happened with this post

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Elliott
    Thank you for the detailed post.
    I am going to ask a question that you may not be able to answer but one which I think represents what many users are feeling. It would be good to get a reply from someone at RSPB on this.
    In your post you stated "We know how important the community is to many of you....". This is a laudable statement but would have been more so had it said something like "The RSPB knows how important the community is".
    Some (probably many) users are not sure that RSPB is committed to the future of the community & see the current spam incidents, along with the recent "upgrade", as evidence of this.
    Is it therefore possible for someone at RSPB to outline what the future for the community is in the eyes of RSPB?
    Ideally the RSPB sees the community as having a viable existence which would re-assure users but if that is not the case at least users would know where they stood with regard to the future of the community.
    Apologies for the long-winded post but I think, rightly or wrongly, that this question needs to be addressed.
    Ian

• There are three items on there at this moment, I would love to be able to flag them up but there is no "more" option next to the thread unless you click onto it unless I am missing something.

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

gaynorsl said:
    There are three items on there at this moment, I would love to be able to flag them up but there is no "more" option next to the thread unless you click onto it unless I am missing something.

This sometimes happens to me, if I have been logged out.I usually find my last message posted to click on my name to re sign in.This then gives me the choice of sign in details.

Incidentally if I try log in with the button at top of page..that appears to have saved wrong details so will not Log In ..Hope that info may help anyone else having sign difficulty.

Reminder of what Elliott kindly wrote.

While we work on these solutions, I thought I would reiterate the ideal way to report spam or abusive content on the community and to "flag" the concern to us. The best way to do this, if you are unsure, is in one of the following ways:

1. In the forum thread, next to any of the posts or replies there is a MORE option. Select this and then select the "Flag as spam/abuse" option (see example)

it needs more than one person to flag,and as Alan advises " also flag in the offenders profile,

Thanks to everyone for thankfully removing last evenings threat,

It is so sad to read, that it is an actual person posting and not an automated.

• Thanks guys. I'm sure you're working as hard as you can!
  • In reply to gaynorsl:

gaynorsl said:
    There are three items on there at this moment, I would love to be able to flag them up but there is no "more" option next to the thread unless you click onto it unless I am missing something.

Opening the thread to find the more button cannot harm you or your computer - the only harm can come from clicking on any links inside the thread. At least at the moment the SPAM has been limited to text which can be pretty easily ignored. Hopeflly it will never degenerate into picyures of the weorst kind, which are not so easily ignored by the eye. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• On a slightly different subject, what are the rules on friendship requests. I had one come through this morning from someone I don't think I've ever heard of, who doesn't seem to have used the forum. How weird is that? I declined it, hoping I haven't hurt someone's feelings.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Hazel will message you

My Flickr photos