Footpath Apps?

Has anyone got any good ,that they have used recommendations of apps or websites for UK footpaths that are clear and easy to use?  In the past have used proper maps but I carry enough kit when walking without wanting to add in a map holder and picking up o/s maps on my travels 

Cin J

• Germain said:

Has anyone got any good ,that they have used recommendations of apps or websites for UK footpaths that are clear and easy to use?  In the past have used proper maps but I carry enough kit when walking without wanting to add in a map holder and picking up o/s maps on my travels 

There are quite a few good apps with maps, and in particular, Ordnance Survey maps, 1:50000 or 1:25000 scale.

I use Memorymap on my phone and computer, which is available on Google Play and Apple Store, likewise and just as good, OS Maps.

What I used to do was print a map covering the area I was walking from Memorymap on to waterproof paper, A4 or A3 size. The maps printed are both durable and accurate to scale, and being a smaller map, easier to fold and hold, and the advantage of covering a larger area for locating distant landmarks etc.

The waterproof paper maps I have tested properly, got them wet, tried to rub the print off, even drowning them in muddy puddles, and they still performed.

No unwieldly map cases, no large maps to try and fold to a manipulatable size, but I always carried a full map in my pack, just in case I had to veer off the desired route for any reason.

Even today, though I no longer go mountaineering, I still often print on waterproof paper a map of the reserve and surrounding area, which is ideal to identify the terrain and any landmarks or features.

As you can imagine, I have quite a collection from my walking days, and adding to that collection still.

ViewRanger used to be used by UK Mountain Rescue teams, though that was been taken over by Outdoor Active a couple of years ago. I've heard mix reports on Outdoor Active, and never having looked at it, I cannot comment. ViewRanger did have quite a healthy following, so there might be sour grapes, or they might be genuine gripes, I really don't know.

If I was to be a betting man, I'd certainly look at Outdoor Active, along with Memorymap and Ordnance Survey.

I think they all now only do subscription services, though when I bought Memorymap, I did manage to buy a lifetime licence, which I understand is no longer available

I hope that helps.

• Thank you Mike, I thought you would be able to come up with some good suggestions - I will go off and investigate

Cin J

• Germain said:
    Thank you Mike, I thought you would be able to come up with some good suggestions - I will go off and investigate

You're welcome.

Let me know how you get on.

• I played with the Outdooractive App. Proved very helpful in the depths of Devon when we were trying to tack distance. I like it a lot

Cin J