Identify please

Can anyone identify this very poorly bird please.
  • It's a Chaffinch, Karen. If it is sick it might be suffering from Trichomonosis which particularly affects finches. You can read about it HERE. They usually have a fluffed up appearance and seem very lethargic. There's no treatment and good hygiene of feeders is the best way to to prevent spread  Sometimes it's necessary to remove feeders for a few weeks. Let's hope it isn't that nasty disease.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I can't help with ID, but it looks like it might be a juvenile. What makes you feel it is poorly?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• It's lethargic and breathing heavily. I think it is canker because I am losing so many collared doves. I'm at my wits end now. It breaks my heart. I removed all my feeders for a week but it hasn't stopped it. I do keep very good hygiene but I guess I can't stop what's happening elsewhere. Will my other healthy birds not die if I stop feeding them. I must have over 200 visitors a day. Help.

• And thank you teensy and monkeycheese

• There will still be plenty of other food sources, both natural and provided by humans, so the other birds will get by. It's the time of year when these viruses occur as far as I know. It might well be that your feeders are not the origin of whatever is going about, but by their very nature, they are communal and dozens, if not hundreds of birds might use them. Unfortunately birds of that size cannot really be treated for throat cankers. Pigeons are large enough to be treated, but it's a problem for smaller birds. Your 'gang' will return eventually.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thank you Hun

Just taken everything in and they're soaking in bleach as we speak. I've bleached everywhere in the garden too. I guess I have to be strong and not feed them for a while.