This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Technical issues: Are any fundamental things still not working?

This thread is for things on the community that don't work. This does not include formatting, so if there are issues with the lay out, colours or fonts please see our 'Requests for new features' thread.   

• As Bob says above - language still stuck on US English, no other option.

A 'fix' that isn't I'm afraid.

Ian

• Thinking about it, I see the spellchecker is still said to be an issue. Could that be related to 'US English' ie is the spellchecker trying to "correct" us into being American?

Have to confess I wouldn't know myself as I don't use it.

• Hi-

I am just back  ( having dropped out as it was becoming somewhere I couldn't be bothered with)  and am watching the forum like you northernlass to see if it is user-friendly after next weeks update.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• At the risk of sounding like a killjoy here, can we keep this thread to issues that individuals have experienced? 

I will respond tomorrow to some of the speculation surrounding the "US English" language option, the spell checker and the fundamental navigation and structure of the community.

If you have suggestions on improvements or features you'd like to see, there's a feature request thread here - http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/about/f/1251/t/107003.aspx

Thanks,

F.

• Hi northernlass top of page there is a"notification" drop down menu which tells you when there is another reply on a post you have written or replied to. I think you have to set it up using the "Options

Pat Adams - Flickr - BLOG

• I am getting my updated notifications ok Bob

Pat Adams - Flickr - BLOG

• So as promised from yesterday

"US English"

First up, I'd marked this as fixed in the previous round of fixes, when in fact it's been fixed in the next round of fixes (admin/user/frankie error) currently sitting on our test machine.

I'd like to allay any fears surrounding the language choice. The "US English" language option is the default language choice for the Telligent Community product and It's used to determine what language you see around the site, the RSPB have customised the language file to show the correct content, labels, button wording etc into UK English.

If we needed to add other languages in, such as French, Italian etc. then we could, right now we don't.

It doesn't affect the spell checker as such, that is a different issue, and we will be taking a close look at why this is breaking, but it's not because we're writing in "UK English".

We will be removing the choice of language, as it is superfluous unless/until we decide to open up a multi-lingual community with a choice of language.

So whilst it's unsightly, It's no more than a reference to the "content file" the community software looks at to get the right content on the screen or in our automated emails generated by the community software, in essence, it could say "Martian" and still work correctly.

Navigation

I think most people agree that the structure, navigation and grouping of content, collectively known as "Information Architecture" shortened to IA, is less than desirable at this point in time.

There have been suggestions on how to improve the IA, how to make things a little easier or more organised, and we thank you for your suggestions.

We need to take a far more in depth and considered view of this, and look at usability and IA across the whole community, rather than simply putting a plaster over it by making a few isolated navigation changes. I am not sure when this will happen, but there is recognition within the RSPB that we need to be addressing this.

Please bear in mind though, and I have stated this before, the upgrade never set out to address information architecture, it was a technical, "software update", that will allow us now to concentrate on improving the usability and participation in the community.

We do have a couple of changes that need to happen, regardless of any new navigation or IA, the first being the link from notifications to relevant posts and the second, the link to a post from the activity wall. These changes are in for the next release.

Notifications pop up

I hadn't promised an update on notifications as far as I was aware, but I'll take the opportunity to address this now and clarify what will happen:

1. When a notification is clicked on, it will take people to the last post in the thread (for notifications surrounding threads/posts).

2. We're working on ensuring that the notifications don't disappear straight after you click them.

3. We are changing the automatic opt in to notifications when replying to/creating posts.

These are the only three things we're intending to resolve around notifications in this round of updates.

Hope this helps?

F.

• When on android if I click on notifications it just switches off and does nothing.

On the PC if I click on notifications it goes to the first page of the thread.  Not to where I might have replied.

There's nothing anywhere for new posts or today's posts.

You'll probably just say to post that in new features.  Frankly though it's up to your programme manager to do a technical upgrade that is user friendly.

A user group to participate in scoping requirements and testing the solution PRIOR to 'go live' is the more typical protocol in a properly managed project.

If the RSPB have been stupid enough to scope out project requirements that deliver a technical solution that is not user friendly then more fool them!

As it is though it's neither user friendly OR defect free.

A bird in the hand can make an awful mess!

• Hi NL,

sadly we've been through this for awhile now- I had similar probs to you ( some still not 100% resolved)  I left for awhile because I just couldn't access anything and pages took minutes to open- STILL TAKES 40 secs TO OPEN MY PERSONAL PAGE -  However;    Slowly it IS  being moved from Geek inspired  to normal person- friendly.

A big update is promised for about the 16th ( I may have date wrong- spoke to the Lodge this week) If that still leaves the site knee deep in geekworld I would expect all hell to break loose in here.

Worth a wait though ;  the Mods and Techies ARE working hard but they are going uphill rolling a Geek boulder atm

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• A further update 'By the 16th' is mentioned by Frankie in his post.