This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UPDATED COMMUNITIES Q&A CLINIC

This site has a brand new look, as you will have no doubt noticed by now. Change can be a little daunting at first, but rest assured we are here to help with the transition from old to new. Please use this thread to ask any questions/voice any concerns and will do out utmost to get back to you.

N.B: Please accept our most sincere apologies for the current speed of the site, we are aware of the issue and are looking to resolve this as a priority.

Claire

• Claire M said:

I am managing to post alright,just a few queries, what are the notification's for on our page, by the inbox please and in rich formatting,  what are the toggle screen, the anchor and the "rubber ring "please?

Getting used to it

Wren, HERE is an explanation of each icon in a WYSIWYG toolbar.
  • Unknown said:

Ps - I am sure that there are dozens of people on here who would have been more than happy to be involved in Beta testing as long as day to reading and posting was not affected

I certainly would have been happier to test a beta version first.
  • Jennifer T said:

I am managing to post alright,just a few queries, what are the notification's for on our page, by the inbox please and in rich formatting,  what are the toggle screen, the anchor and the "rubber ring "please?

Getting used to it

Hi wren, when you log on to the site, you may see a red box with a number in it next to where it says 'Notifications'. These hi-lite where someone has responded to a post you may have started or added to. I may need to ask someone more technical than myself re: the anchor and rubber ring.... will get back to you shortly.

Claire

[/quote] Wren, as promised: the anchor symbol allows you to anchor text and this is a different way to link to things.The rubber ring symbol allows you to restore auto-saved content and reverts your text to the last auto-save. I am fairly confident that you should not need to worry to unduly about the latter, as it is rarely used. Hope this helps.

Opps cross-posted with ChloeB. Many thanks for your reply ChloeB!

• Thought it might be handy for people to refer to MrsT as not everyone is familiar with WYSIWYG editors. Am waiting patiently for mine to be reinstated though,thankfully, I am able to use HTML for the time being  :)

• I have to say i am one of them, I thought Wysiwyg was a muppet character! Thanks again.

• An Anchor is only useful if you have a pretty long post, it is used to jump to certain parts of your post you think people will be interested in.

You will have seen them on web sites, like a site explaining how to do something and giving you a technical explanation first, you may see a link saying don't want to read all this, jump to how to do it.

Clicking how to would make the page jump/scroll down to the relevant part, missing out all the technical stuff you didn't want to read.

The place it jumps to is an anchor.

I've set the above link to jump to the end of this post.

The Anchor icon doesn't seem to be working like it should.

You need to create an anchor at the point in your post you want to jump to.

Click the anchor icon and type in a name for your anchor, use different names if you have more than one.

Then you need to create a link to point to that anchor.

The link needs to be far enough away from the anchor to warrant a jump.

Highlight the text you want as a link to your anchor, click the link icon (chain link), in the link URL box type the name of the anchor you want this link to jump to, preceded by # (hash tag)

If you named your anchor point1 the link URL would be #point1

I'm pretty sure this isn't how it's supposed to work, you should be able to pick from a list in the Anchor drop-down when inserting a link, but as the anchor icon is set to create an anchor point  by id and not name you get no list to choose from, so you have to remember what you named your anchors.

As you can see if you did click the anchor link above, it's pretty pointless unless you have a very long post.

End of post.

Brian.

My Flickr

My own humble photo site

• WOW Ibcus you are clever & I kind of understand but have to go & lay down now 'cos my brain cell just exploded - again!!! LOL

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Jennifer T said:

I have to say i am one of them, I thought Wysiwyg was a muppet character! Thanks again.

That's me Mrs T - to a 'T' as they say!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thank you Mrs T, ChloeB & Ibcus for explaining that.

J

• I thought it was shorthand for What You See Is What You Get !