REQUEST A NEW FORUM- How about this ?

Hi-

how about a General Birding Forum?  It could cover general discussion stuff that isnt necessarily question led .

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Yep that sounds like a good one.

Also a PM system is missing here, I know you can post on peoples pages but it is not secure and if you wanted to share an email address etc, your at the mercy of the person you give it too, at least with a pm or email button it given the control back to you. I know anyone can use it but a few ignored messages normally stops that, but there is no channel here for private communications. Some info or questions you have should be kept quiet for the sake of the birds involved.

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• Hi mpiekp

PM's have been discussed before on here and they were reasonably unpopular at the time.

I know it might sound a little unusual to not have a PM system, but the general consensus was that members preferred to not share email addy's and other details.

I spent some time looking at other birding forums yesterday, and they all offer a PM system, so this Community seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• seymouraves said:

Hi-

how about a General Birding Forum?  It could cover general discussion stuff that isnt necessarily question led .

S

I think this is a good idea. Not sure about the requirement for a PM capability though, this is a forum not really a chat room.

When you have seen one ant, one bird, one tree, you have not seen them all - E.O.Wilson

• I would like to add my vote for the general birding forum

and also for the PM system - this is useful for providing information to others that is not for the general view such as presonal info or sensitive bird info.

It is also useful for the odd occasion that the mods or others need to put a point to a member that could be embarrassing  to one or other party, Apologies or etiquette suggestions for example, if posted in the forums or on a home page.

All PM systems that I have worked with allow the member to opt out of PM from non Mioderators

Best regards
    Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58

• A general birding forum sounds like a great idea. It has my vote.

Will start a new thread about PM's if not already done, so we don't hijack 'S's idea.

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Sounds good to me. +1 to the vote

Urban Wildlife

Urban Wildlife

I have to grow old but I refuse to grow up !!!

• The original posts are over a year old , Bob. The site has been changed and we now have a Private Message system. I believe it is secure but Mods may have access. I stopped using one forum because the owner was using his adminstrator priveledges to read messages.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• Hi-  I see this has been added to again.   So a  few comments for discussion- I've probably expounded these b4.

1-  the RSPB seems to be making a conscious effort to be more family and general wildlife orientated . A big org needs a big solid membership and families probably fit that in bigger Nos than birders.

2- I think I previously suggested posting Birding stuff in the Gear Guide 

section

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box