How about a pictures competition Forum

It would be great for a new forum specifically for competitions and events

Regards Golden Eagle    

Happy birding!

• If you believe that this is a good idea or disagree please reply 

Happy birding!

• To be a true competition does there not need to be a prize? Why not just a thread for different species?

I just love seeing the photos and it's prize enough for me for someone to say they like one of my snaps....

or did you mean a forum to advise everyone of specificphotographic competition?

• Hi

Why does it have to be a competition? It isn't really a competition as there are no judges nor any prizes, and in any case some members just don't like the idea of competing against each other.

The photography forum was specially set-up quite recently so that members could post their photographs on it.

I think that's a perfectly good place for photos.

Alternatively, there are quite a lot of galleries on here where members can post their photos as well. Then everyone can view them whenever they wish rather than them being lost when the thread disappears.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• I enjoy seeing everyones pics and really don't think competitions are needed.We do have some fab photographers here though  that i am in awe of and others like myself who just like taking photographs but don't take it too seriously.

Anyway,i can't see such competitions working as we are a small forum,and  all so polite we wouldn't want to upset anyone ha ha.

Now the identification and caption threads are something else and real fun.

Just my opinion though....each to their own.:0)

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• We all love photos on here, there is no doubt about that, but there is a place for them - either on the forum as an illustration, part of a report, fun caption threads, or the odd "show us your best pics" and "show us your worst pics" thread, or in the galleries when they get back to normal.

This is a forum for discussing birds and wildlife issues, not for photographic contests. In my humble opinion.

Sorry, I can't vote for this idea.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• ah yes I had not thought about this your probably right

thanks anyway

regards Golden Eagle 

Happy birding!

• I would agree with the majority here that a competition as such is not really needed for all the various reasons mentioned. However it might well be worth thinking about submissions for a quarterly theme, maybe the Mods can choose a subject that would be possible for everyone to do, and by the closing date of each theme people can post up there four best shots. Just a suggestion really, no doubt we will all be taking loads of pictures over the next twelve months, so there is plenty of scope for subject matter. For all those that mention about not as good as, or I have not got good equipment could I please say this. Some of the best pictures ever taken were done wih a pinhole camera, so there should be no excuse Tee! Hee! A few little things to remember will make all the difference. Take a moment to study the subject, if it is a bird in your garden then watch it`s behaviour, get to know where it likes to land other than the feeder. If it is still life then again look at it closely and from another angle other than head on, if possible get down lower to take the shot, and just double check to see if there are other distractions that might not be wanted in the picture, and lastly take a few shots of the same thing but from a different point of view and think how the shot might look if you were to get in closer. I dont want to tell anybody how to suck eggs but if this helps one person then it is not wasted information.

Life is like Photography

We develope from the negatives

More pictures here. http://u8photography.fotopic.net/

• Susan H said:

We all love photos on here, there is no doubt about that, but there is a place for them - either on the forum as an illustration, part of a report, fun caption threads, or the odd "show us your best pics" and "show us your worst pics" thread, or in the galleries when they get back to normal.

This is a forum for discussing birds and wildlife issues, not for photographic contests. In my humble opinion.

Sorry, I can't vote for this idea.

Hi fully agree with sparrow, this is not the place for a compertition, its about sharing and learning without any upsets, i had benifit from that last night, :-) LoL some posters would be put off posting as there are some amazing pictures been posted Alan

i say always look on the bright side of life, as you cannot see anything on the other ?