New forum Idea - My Garden Diary

Following a post of mine in another thread I think It may be a good idea to have a forum specifiv=cly for regular lists of what we are seeing in our garrdens

This would take the form of each person starting and maintaining a thread with regular posts (daily or weekly) of the birds in heir garden - a sort of on-going great garden birdwatch. this thread would not be for comments but just for each individual diary

as well as providing a nice record for the individual i would also be of interest to others,

If regularly updated and include basic weather and other local changes (new feeder/food Etc.), it may give information on national and local trends

Please add any comments below to see if this is is a viable idea and one the mods would like to instigate

Best regards
Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58

• Sounds good to me as I like to read about the different habits that birds seem to have in different parts of the country.

Sarah

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 19/01/2011 04:10 in reply to bramble67

Hi Nigel

I think it id a great idea as it is a good idea of what we are seeing in our back garden during all 4 seasons of the year.

In spring, it will be a good indicator of any nesting birds and how they progress though the egg laying to the hatching of eggs.   Taking lots of notes of fledged birds will build up a picture for the RSPB and other wildlife bodies at the same time - the ups and downs of birds and their family life.

It will give us as bird lovers a lot of enjoyment too ... to see our feathered friends succeed though all the ups and downs of their lives too!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• It also sounds good to me. I enjoy comparing gardens in different parts of the country, and it would be a nice record to look back on.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Sounds like a good idea to me too.

I did put a thread on a week or two ago saying that I was interested in setting up a spreadsheet with everyone's sightings but I was a bit worried about the amount of work.  I posted it at stupid o'clock in the morning so think it got a bit lost!  Your idea sounds far better though as everone can do their own bit and its there for everone to see too!

Stoat

I'm not bald. I've just got ingrowing hair!

• Brilliant idea, although whether i would have the time personally at the moment I don't know. I would love reading everyone else's account though. I assume each individual would be allowed to post photos etc on their diary? It would be great to see a complete layout of each garden and surrounding area, where feeding stations and nest boxes are sited and species of trees and shrubs, ponds and other features etc. 

It is all very exciting, I hope it can be arranged.

Kind regards Jane.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 19/01/2011 04:55 in reply to Goldcrest

Could we go on step further and be able to create Blog on here

A blog would give a great account of our own personal diary of events

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Nicki C said:

Could we go on step further and be able to create Blog on here

A blog would give a great account of our own personal diary of events

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Hi K & D

From my understanding of the way that this type of community site works the addition of a personal members blog would require a fair amount of work for the site administrators and mods.plus extra maintenance and monitoring

The idea of duplicating the blog concept within the forum format and existing system is I think the first stage to evaluate if the need and member support for this is valid, but I would agree that the personal blog would be an interesting idea

Best regards
    Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58