Baby Blackbird (Injured badly)

Hi I hope you can help.

Earlier today I was alarmed by a surge of birds making noise in my garden. I looked through the window and noticed a small fledgling Blackbird being atta ked by a magpie. I managed to get rid of the other birds but when I went to check if the fledgling was alive, I noticed it was but it was severely injured. It's stuck with it's mouth open yet ur is alive. I have picked it up and gently placed it in a large box with some towels. I have no idea what to do. I've never been in a situation like this and I'm in need for some advice. I've tried calling rspca but it's out of hours right now and I'm worried the fledgling will not survive till the morning. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

• It will be far better if the young Blackbird does not now survive, better off taking it to Vet for euthanising if still alive tomorrow ... no matter how well intentioned you should not have attempted to intervene as you have only prolonged this bird's suffering, would have been far better to have let the Magpie finish it off quickly and take it to feed it's own  young ... distressing to watch but the laws of nature!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately the bird died just an hour after this post. Sad as it is but you are definitely right. At the end of the day, we can't control nature. I know this for next time, if there ever happens to be one. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Have a good day.

• Thank you for taking the advice on board Kahlona, it will always be distressing but we must accept it, take care!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr