The Birding Experience

Hi folks,

Being new to Birdwatching this year it struck me how wonderful it is to see your 1st of a particular species or activity.  This week was such an exciting week for me as I saw my first Goldcrest which was beautiful & small.  It was one of the questions on Autumnwatch last nite & I was overjoyed when the presenter confirmed the high pitched noise.

Yesterday was another first as I viewed a Sparrowhawk take out a Dunlin in front of our eyes in the observation room (RSPB Harbour Lagoon, Belfast).  What a sight that was & caused a lot of people to reach for the camera's.

Nxt I'm off to Castle Espie to see the Owl & Hedgehog session, feed the ducks & watch those Brent Geese over Strangford Lough featured on Autumnwatch - life is great eh!

And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make!

• Hi, yes, birding life is great. It's my first year of having time to watch birds too. I have learned so much and had so many magic moments. And each and every experience and first sighting is, as you say, so wonderful.

Nice pic too. Birdman of Northern Ireland. :)

Pipit

• Hi Superman,

It's also my first year - nearly my first anniversary, and I agree, it is a brilliant experience when you first see a new bird. I usually fall over with excitement. My primary interest is my own back garden, but I am venturing to places new and trying to learn more about non-garden birds - with the help of the lovely people on this forum.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr