High pitched shriek from dark coloured bird in garden from morning till dusk - is it a screwed up blackbird?

Dear All

I love birdsong very much. All birdsong. But this year a large black bird has joined the neighbourhood in south London and it starts making this noise early in the mornings and keeps it up all day. It is always alone on a high tree (moves between high trees). The end of the phrase is very piercing. It is like it is on a repeat button. I have recorded it....is it possible to post the sound to see if it is a blackbird that has gone a bit awry or if it is something else?

At my wit's end about this as I have looked at lots of videos for a similar song without any joy.

thanks

B

• brnac said:
    I have recorded it....is it possible to post the sound to see if it is a blackbird that has gone a bit awry or if it is something else?

Hi B, yes it is. Click on "Use rich formatting" below reply box and then drag and drop the clip from your computer into the box. 

• Thanks Tony...meanwhile I put the video onto youtube.....it is here
    https://youtu.be/6svaXrswE0we

The first bit (with my shoes) and the last bit (with the cat) is not the most important bit. But when I point the video at the branches you can hear the bird doing its strange thing.

Thanks
    B
  • Well all I can hear is a Blackbird singing beautifully. Doesn't sound anything like "shrieking" to me. I guess they all have subtle variations to their vocalisations. Here's a clip from the RSPB website

Niels Krabbe, XC25554. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/25554

• That sounds quite different to me...it is very much more harmonious and pleasant. and lacks the last high pitched note that goes up wildly but I'll try to do another recording in a few days. Perhaps it is just a very individualistic black bird. Thanks
  • That sounds quite different to me...it is very much more harmonious and pleasant. and lacks the last high pitched note that goes up wildly but I'll try to do another recording in a few days. Perhaps it is just a very individualistic black bird. Thanks