RSPB

As far as I can see, there's nowhere where the RSPB itself is discussed.  It's understandable almost all the posts are about birds, which we all enthusiastic about, but is there not also a need to examine how we're doing as an organisation?  Suggestions for our new Chief Executive perhaps, or thoughts about membership turnover (we sign up lots of new members, but why do so many leave us before long?), or about how we spend our funds in UK or overseas, or about how well campaigns are going (lots of signatures for letter to the future, but not so good when you see it's less than a quarter of our membership).

You will probably guess I'd like to start with a good moan!  I volunteered for a couple of different things, and the first response in both cases was "please fill in this form authorising a CRB check".  Not very welcoming I thought, how about a phone call first to see if I suit the job and the job suits me!  How does the RSPB recommend its staff to handle the first contact with a new volunteer?

Overall the RSPB does a really great job, so this isn't really about moans but about fostering continuing success, by exchanging ideas about how we do things and what we might do extra/differently/less of.

• The Chief Executive of the RSPB states in November's 'Birds' that "there is little doubt that savings can be made without doing too much harm" and he gives small government his enthusiastic support. He goes on to describe how an army of environmental volunteers can work to minimise the harm to nature that government cuts would inflict. For example, with the right farm management and the use of volunteers the decline of farmland birds can be influenced.

But what about other effects of small government and the consequent massive spending cuts - like the increasing rural poverty which will be forced on people living in the countryside? (Perhaps it is the hope of the Chief Exec that as farmers become bankrupt and give up their farms, the land will revert to wild meadows and hedges and birds, if not people, will flourish?)

And what about the RSPB's thousands of members who will have their household incomes slashed (not to mention their services)? Will the RSPB give them a subsidised membership so that they can continue to receive the magazine which praises the very measures that are decimating their families and communities?

These cuts may even be affecting your members, Mr Chief Executive - don't make the mistake of assuming too much about the situations and attitudes of all RSPB members.

I would have thought that as a voluntary organisation the RSPB should not be taking such a blatant political stance. However if the organisation wants to work with the government and support their massive cuts programme, they will have to do it without my subscription, and I sincerely hope that many others will make their views known in a similar way.