Pigeon Poo

Hi there, New to here, but been following RSPB website on FB a while. I have finally bought a house - which means.... a garden! I'm sooo excited. It's rather small, and a bit of a barren landscape, so I'm looking forward to using some ideas from here. In the mean time I was talking to the vendor about the garden/wildlife and he said he used to feed the birds, but it attracted a large number of pigeons, who ate all the food, & more annoyingly for him Poo'd a lot on everything so he stopped. Now I like a pigeon or two, but I don't want to be cleaning up after them the whole time. How can I limit/discourage the pigeons from re attending the bird party?
  • Pigeons aren't much good at clinging to hanging bird feeders :-) You can also get ground feeders with a cage over them that lets the small birds in but keeps the big ones out. A few pigeons to clean up any spillage are possibly a good thing mind you.

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• .   I feed four hanging feeders and get all the small birds in and the ferals come along twice a day and do the cleaning up for me, so go along with Stuart, plus the cage with the guardian cover also will keep the larger birds away.   Good luck with your new garden Dawn, we'd all love to see a few photos when you're up and running.

Lot to learn

• Thank you for your advice.. I've had to make do with a window bird feeder (as I'm on the 2nd floor flat) for past 2 years, but have attracted a variety of tits and robins. Hoping the new people will keep feeding them. I'm going to be like a kid in a toy shop when I get my garden, bug homes, bird feeders, flowers for bees and butterflies.. whoop whoop :D

• Hello Dawn and welcome form me up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. Hope you enjoy here. I am sure once you get your new garden with your different feeders up that you will attract all sorts including some pigeons. They are nice birds and clean up the ground feed. It will be nice to design your new garden to how you like it, planting all sorts of shrubs and flowers. There will always be a helping hand here for any questions. Look forward to pictures and updates in the future.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.