GOOD EGG AWARD UPDATE

Hello folks,

We have been thinking about making some changes to the good egg award. Under the current system, Good Eggs are only recognised once, but we'd like to create a new system to recognise those of you who consistently contribute really good stuff to the Forum.

One of the ideas we've been throwing around is that of a monthly rolling award. If anyone has any thoughts on this or other ideas regarding improvements to the good egg award we would welcome constructive comments.

Claire
(on behalf of all of the Moderators)

• Hi All

First may I say I have no views about the rights or wrongs of the Good Egg awards.

The real reward for me is the site itself and all the wonderful people that uses it.

Robert  

• Oh dear and I was so utterly thrilled with mine:-( I can feel it draining away with every post I read - my jollies didn't manage to last the week. Thanks for your input everyone, it's given me plenty to think about - whether I want to think about it or not.

• My fourpenneth worth ...

I was quite proud and chuffed when I received my Good Egg badge. I never set out nor strived to achieve one, but it was nice to be recognised as contributing to this community.

I certainly don't think the whole things is a "shambles", "decisive" nor do I believe it elitist. To be honest, I don't think I post any differently now, than I did before.

I think that everyone on here who has received one has been utterly deserving one, and I think there are other people on here who a long overdue getting one .. but as long as they continue doing what they are doing, they will get an award.

If the RSPB Mods read this and decide to stop awarding them because a handful of people seem to have suddenly taken umbridge after two years I think this place will be poorer for it.

That is all ...

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."
    Death - Terry Pratchett (The Last Continent).

• Kezsmum said:

Oh dear and I was so utterly thrilled with mine:-( I can feel it draining away with every post I read - my jollies didn't manage to last the week. Thanks for your input everyone, it's given me plenty to think about - whether I want to think about it or not.

You deserved it ... don't let others spoil it!

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."

• Unknown said:
    If the RSPB Mods read this and decide to stop awarding them because a handful of people seem to have suddenly taken umbridge after two years I think this place will be poorer for it

P.C. I reckon this sums up the feeling of most people.Very few will be contributing to the forum for the kudos,they either do it for the fun or to help others,if one or two want to spit their dummy well tough.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thank you backing me up! ;o)

Ant

• I don't think anyone is taking umbrige - the original post - lest you forget -  opened up the debate about good eggs and people have expressed their opinion - for or against as they are entitled to.

For what it is worth, I think the forum would have been a happier place without a silly system of "prizes" or stars. Surely the sharing of knowledge does not require public recognition but is something worthwhile in itself. Everyone who browses or contributes to the forum is capable of acknowledging informative posts and responding accordingly.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• I don't think anyone is taking umbrige - the original post - lest you forget -  opened up the debate about good eggs and people have expressed their opinion - for or against as they are entitled to.

For what it is worth, I think the forum would have been a happier place without a silly system of "prizes" or stars. Surely the sharing of knowledge does not require public recognition but is something worthwhile in itself. Everyone who browses or contributes to the forum is capable of acknowledging informative posts and responding accordingly.

But it is nice to be recognised .. all charities have "Good Egg" awards of some description for various activities.

Those who usual get such awards never ask for them, or set out to win one ...

Everyone on here contributes greatly, every so often someone may do something that catches the eye of the mods, it probably was nothing special to the person who posted it. That's what makes the award so special ... speaking for myself, it came totally out of the blue, and I was on a high for weeks afterwards. Others were probably the same.

It's not much ... but it's nice to be noticed!

Ant

• ClaireM said:
    the original post - lest you forget -  opened up the debate about good eggs and people have expressed their opinion - for or against as they are entitled to

Claire is right,reckon we have wandered off thread a bit sand got a bit too deep.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I don't think anyone needs backing up.

This thread is not getting at anyone who has received a good egg award and i think that has been pointed out and i am pleased those that got it feel great.However,there are a lot of members who got it and others have been left behind and if it upsets them it spoils the forum.Why ?  because their contributions were equally important to the members NOT  necessarily the ADMIN..

I haven't had a star since my school days and yes it was fab then and i counted them with pride but now i am watching adults talking about a good egg award  and that makes me giggle . Why? because this is supposed to be an adult RSPB forum.

If the RSPB choose to go down this route fine but if you misbehaved at school the star (egg) was taken away forthwith .

For those that need a pat on the back enjoy...................................For those that don't join the clan............

Unknown said:

Thank you backing me up! ;o)

Ant

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .