Housemartin Nests

A friend has a neighbour who insists on knocking down the housemartins' nests on his house as they are trying their best to build them.  I understand that it is ok to knock down a nest after the birds have migrated but what are the rules re knocking them down as they are being built?  Any advice that I can pass on is much appreciated. 

• Hi,

I assume the person is knocking the nests down as they are under construction - House Martins often breed right through into October so  I suggest putting some house martin boxes up in a more friendly (house eaves) location nearby :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Thanks for this. My neighbour has done this too. I don’t want to fall out with them but I would have if I had sen them in time! As it is I will mention the illegality in conversation. We are lucky to have had two nests at least for the 16 years we have lived here and will encourage them all we can.Blush
  • Nikki,do you realise you are replying to a thread that is over 11 years old ? You are lucky to have 2 nests our House Martins have not returned for several years.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can