white goldfinch...

I had a goldfinch in my garden, but it was white with a red face, could you please tell me why this is. i didnt get a picture as my camera was broken at the time, which now im really annoyed as i havent seen it since!

• It may be a possibility that its an albino Goldfinch or a leucistic Goldfinch.  i done a quick Google image search and albino looks more probable.  Have a look at see what you think :o)

•  Hi Dani Welcome to the forum.

I would identify the bird you saw as a Leucistic Goldfinch.

There is a difference of opinion and definition of Leucism and Albinism between, "ordinary birders" and scientists. In the scientific circles there seems to be little doubt that the term "albino" is only used if there is a complete lack of pigmentation, including soft parts.

Leucism describes the various forms where there is a lack of pigmentation, but not complete. Do note that this lack can be complete in areas and still be considered leucistic, as long as other areas do have pigmentation to some extent.

Hence, "partial albino" is not used at all.

This also concurs with the ideas taught in the biology classes in universities.

Scientifically, a bird with white patches is, in fact, leucistic.

However, this is where "ordinary birders" differ, I think in part because the term leucistic only entered the scene fairly recently in these circles.

Previously, when not knowing the term leucistic, it would be logical to use the wellknown albino in a modified way; i.e. "partial albino".

However, then "leucistic" enter the scene and the confusion appears to be total.

Albino refers only to things that have two recessive genes and, therefore, no pigment anywhere.

As leucism is a spectrum between white and normal, any odd white feathers are leucistic. This could be genetic, or indeed possibly from infection/trauma and diet may also contribute to abnormalities.

If you say 'albino' people think of a pure white bird with pink eyes (no pigment anywhere), and if you say 'leucistic' then most people think of a pale, washed out bird where the colouring is diluted.

If you say 'partial albino' then people know what you mean - a bird with white patches. As such, they cannot be 'partial albino' as they do not have both recessive genes.

Leucism is a condition characterised by reduced pigmentation in animals and humans. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin.

Leucism is kind of the opposite of melanism.

The following links will give you the best information on Leucism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism

http://listserv.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011c&L=birdband&T=0&F=&S=&P=778

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• Thankyou very much for your help, i had a look at some images and it resembled the goldfinch i saw! such cool looking birds, cant believe i had one!

so thanks again! :)

• Hi Dani

First of all welcome to the forum from me - I hope you enjoy it on here there's so much to read and learn and the members are a really great crowd.

Secondly - on past threads alot of us have been lamenting on the lack of Goldfinches in our garden so I am sitting here with a really pained expression on my face to read that not only do you have Goldfinches but you have managed to get yourself a Leucistic one.  I've been breaking my buns to get just a Goldfinch in the garden even though I have food galore for them. 

If you do get a chance, I would love to see a photo.

If I got just one with a squint or limp I would be forever happy!

• Hi - I'm new to the site but couldn't resist trying to post up a picture when I found this forum while searching for an answer to what was on the feeder I've got at work. It's a white Goldfinch with 'normal' tail and head (although it wasn't very obliging when I took the photo). It's not a great photo as it was taken through the window but hopefully it's good enough. Cheers.

• Hello Peewit, and a warm welcome to the forum,

What a wonderful picture, and thank you so much for posting it. (It is unusual as I can actually see the photo, I hope everyone else can).

How strange to have this little leucistic goldfinch, but well spotted and well caught on camera.

I hope you enjoy the forum, and I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Peewit said:

Hi - I'm new to the site but couldn't resist trying to post up a picture when I found this forum while searching for an answer to what was on the feeder I've got at work. It's a white Goldfinch with 'normal' tail and head (although it wasn't very obliging when I took the photo). It's not a great photo as it was taken through the window but hopefully it's good enough. Cheers.

Oh bother - photos disappeared again grrrrrrrrrr!!

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 15/03/2010 17:10 in reply to JudiM

Hi Peewit

Welcome to the RSPB Forum

Love your picture of the Albino Goldfinch, along with your normal coloured Goldfinch {good comparison between the two birds]

Regards

Kathy and Dave