Bird feed with Aniseed

Hi all,

I have bought some new bird feed which the birds seems to love more than usual - I can only think it is because it has aniseed in it.   It wasn't until I opened the bag that I realised this was in it.  Can anyone tell me why they seem so attracted to it?

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 23/10/2009 23:18

Never heard of Aniseed before Kezmo - interesting to know.

There appears to be no limit to a birds tastes.

Maybe it is the digestion thing.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Hi all,

I have bought some new bird feed which the birds seems to love more than usual - I can only think it is because it has aniseed in it.   It wasn't until I opened the bag that I realised this was in it.  Can anyone tell me why they seem so attracted to it?

• I've just made quick dash down to the shed where I keep the seed and had another look.  Unfortunately for my robin and dunnocks according to the guide on the back of the pack they won't like it!  I think I have also scuppered what little chance I had with the woodpecker Blackbird because neither do they LOL On the brighter note, the shed however has a lovely smell of cough sweets and has successfully cured the little cough I had!!

• http://www.valupets.com/pets/wild-bird-food,-peanuts-and-fat-balls/wild-bird-food-spring-and-summer-15kg/25055.html

Hi

I found this link with regards to aniseed in birdfood. Also you can buy aniseed oil which you can use to flavour you existing birdfood.

Graham

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 24/10/2009 21:25 in reply to Kezmo

Hi Kezmo

I must have a look into seeing what is what with your discovery.  At least you have been warned about birds tastes.  Wonder of Blackbirds like it or not?

Yes, I am sure that the Aniseed will clear out the nasel passages out a little.

Had it as part of a drink in France and it was different to anything I have tasted before!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

I've just made quick dash down to the shed where I keep the seed and had another look.  Unfortunately for my robin and dunnocks according to the guide on the back of the pack they won't like it!  I think I have also scuppered what little chance I had with the woodpecker Blackbird because neither do they LOL On the brighter note, the shed however has a lovely smell of cough sweets and has successfully cured the little cough I had!!

• Hi nestbox

Thanks for the link that was very useful, I had another look at the seed I have and it is actually Aniseed oil which is causing the most delightful smell.

I know the pack feeding guide had a cross against robins, dunnocks and woodpeckers but all three have been in the garden today - YES THAT'S RIGHT EVERYONE I SAID WOODPECKER!!!!!!!!  Is this just coincidence or was he brought in by the smell.  He didn't stay to eat but he was here (oh bliss!)

To show you my absolute delight I have posted a rather bad photo of it (beggars can't be choosers)  - it is also in "my gallery" along with one of a robin too this one eating the food!  I did also take one of the dunnock feeding on it but the shot was so atrocious that I wouldn't even dream of posting it.

Oh bliss oh bliss...a woodpecker (heehee).!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 25/10/2009 00:32 in reply to Kezmo

Hi Kemzo

Love your Woodpecker in the Tree. What more could you ask for in the birding world.

Yes, maybe the smell of food has had an impact on the local Woodpeckers after all LOL

Wonder if it is a male or a female one - hard to say from here! 

More likely to be a female!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Hi nestbox

Thanks for the link that was very useful, I had another look at the seed I have and it is actually Aniseed oil which is causing the most delightful smell.

I know the pack feeding guide had a cross against robins, dunnocks and woodpeckers but all three have been in the garden today - YES THAT'S RIGHT EVERYONE I SAID WOODPECKER!!!!!!!!  Is this just coincidence or was he brought in by the smell.  He didn't stay to eat but he was here (oh bliss!)

To show you my absolute delight I have posted a rather bad photo of it (beggars can't be choosers)  - it is also in "my gallery" along with one of a robin too this one eating the food!  I did also take one of the dunnock feeding on it but the shot was so atrocious that I wouldn't even dream of posting it.

Oh bliss oh bliss...a woodpecker (heehee).!

• Hi Kezmo, that's great news. Now all you need is a few beavers and they, with Woody, can, between them, make a start on your garden for you ☺☺☺ 

• Hi Blackbird

I'm glad you like my photo (I'm chuffed to bits I finally got to take a photo of one!).  The photo isn't good I know but there was definitely a reddish splash to his head so would that make it a male or is it the female that has the red?

• Oh Squirrel you do make me laugh!  thank you!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 25/10/2009 00:49 in reply to Kezmo

Hi Kezmo

The female bird has no crimson on her head so he must be a 'he' bird.

The male has some crimson red on the nape of his neck

The female has no crimson red on her head

The Juvs have crimson red crowns

Hope this helps {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Hi Blackbird

I'm glad you like my photo (I'm chuffed to bits I finally got to take a photo of one!).  The photo isn't good I know but there was definitely a reddish splash to his head so would that make it a male or is it the female that has the red?