help! my neighbours are trying to kill my garden birds!

My neighbours have started putting out dried rice right next to the fence that divides our properties.I have feeders and tables in my garden, and get a good variety of birds. Unfortunatley, because I live in a city, it attracts some pigeons (5 or 6 hang around most of the day) and while I try to stop the pigeons from using the feeders and bird table, there is nothing I can do about them picking up the food the other birds drop. I think this has annoyed them (although they have never said anything to me about it) What do you suggest I do? should I stop feeding them? 

please help, I'm very upset!

Rhiannon.

• I'm sorry to hear your news Rhiannon, that's a shame.  Honestly!  How much mess and noise do they think one person and a few birds make?  People can be very mean sometimes.  I guess you will have to abide by the letter and just look forward to a greener place with more amenable people when you finish Uni.  What are you studying and how long is your course?

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

• I'm studying English Literature & Creative Writing. It's a 3 year course, and I'm in my 2nd year now. I try and surround myself with as much wildlife as possible, and most of my free time is spent volunteering for the RSPB and  the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust. I just love it, can't understand why others don't! It enriches my life so much.

• Are you living in a student house?  You may find that this has nothing to do with bird feeders but your neighbours resent the house being rented out especially to students and they are hoping to get at your landlord. Robin will carry on singing whatever they think or do but they must be very sad people.

• I live in a house with 2 other students, but we're all very quiet and respectful towards our neighbourhood.We really are not big party-goers that cause any kind of noise or disturbance.  Yes, there was issues when we first moved in over the fact that we were students, apparently there was even a complaint made to the letting company, and residents used to park their cars so we couldn't get in/out of our space.  This could be the issue here actually.  I am certainly going to get in touch with the council about it.

• Sorry to hear your latest news. Do get in touch with the Council and let us know how you get on, please. In the meantime, stick to a limited number of feeders so that your regulars do still have a food source - they will adapt and work their way around the reduction.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted. I'm currently enjoying watching some Sparrows and Blue-tits on my remaining feeder.Does anyone know whether or not my Dunnocks and Robin will still come now there is no bird table there? I'm pretty sure they can't use the feeder, or my  1 remaining suet ball.

• Hi Rhiannon,

I've been reading the posts on this thread and may I say how sorry I am that you have been forced to stop doing something you obviously get enjoyment out of.  This is doubly worse when someone like yourself is an avid wildlife enthusiast.

I do agree however that your feeding the birds seems to me to be just another issue your neighbours have used as an excuse to object to a house with students.   Their minds were already made up before you got there so anything you do now is just going to aggravate the matter even more.  You really have no choice unless of course you appeal to the council and highlight the reasons you have said that the rubbish area is a more likely cause for vermin and the seagulls. - I can't imagine your neighbours complaint would have been against a robin and other smaller birds, as I would be surprised the council had taken action.

• PeregrineRhi said:

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted. I'm currently enjoying watching some Sparrows and Blue-tits on my remaining feeder.Does anyone know whether or not my Dunnocks and Robin will still come now there is no bird table there? I'm pretty sure they can't use the feeder, or my  1 remaining suet ball.

Hi Rhiannon, if you have a Droll Yankee feeder you can get a seed catcher for it. It is like the saucer part of a cup and saucer and attaches to the base of the feeder. It is quite large so any birds which prefer to perch on something larger than a peg or perching ring to eat will still be able to.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Nice one Squirrel! that would be better.  My robins and even dunnocks have taken from my feeders so they do adapt.

The other thing I wanted to know which I forgot to put in my last post was what were your neighbours doing with the rice then?  Were they encouraging birds on purpose so that the council were sure to notice or something worse that you had put the food there?

• I agree, robins certainly will adapt to a feeder but I think the neighbours will be complaining mainly about the pigeons. Most cities now ban the feeding of pigeons in town centres. I do think the neighbours are continuing their battle with the landlord. If you do go to the council, stay calm so you are not branded an hysterical woman.