Rat-proof bird feeder? Help please!!

Hello all,

This is my first post, but I really need some help if anyone can provide any!

Last winter I was unfortunate enough to have rats in my home for the first time - a thoroughly unpleasant experience. 

Although the advice from the pest controllers was to stop feeding the birds, I was very reluctant to do this - not only because of the pleasure it gives me, but because I didn't want to remove a food source the birds had come to rely on in the middle of winter.

I tried to minimise the problem by having three separate feeders for nyjer seed, sunflower hearts and peanuts, by "customising" the feeders with trays underneath to catch the waste, and by siting them over a tarpaulin which I am able to sweep easily. 

The feeders are in an apple tree at the far end of the garden, about 15 metres from the house.

I've had no further problems since until yesterday when I spotted a new unwelcome visitor - a rat in broad daylight climbing the tree trunk to reach and feast from the feeders. It's back again today.

I really don't want to stop feeding the birds but I can't see an alternative now. Apart from anything else, I assume the birds will be at risk of disease passed on from the rats.

Please can anyone offer any advice at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Sandpipa.

• If you can learn to tolerate squirrels, and let them make your garden their territory. They will end your rat problem overnight. They do not tolerate rats, and easily kill them. They are must more ruthless than cats and a similar size and faster. Rats have no chance. I would suggest hanging monkey nuts from your washing line. and in other extremely hard to reach places beyond even a rats reach. Once the squirrels move in, no more rats.

• We have the same problem RATS! Our feeders are under trees as to deter a killer sparrow hawk that visits us and takes the little birds, We sparrow hawk proofed our feeding areas and now blessed RATS, so if we move our feeders out into the open again with baffles top and bottom, the little birdies are vulnerable yet again,,, we just simply cant win :(
  • Well update on the rat situation! We greased the bird feeder poles and moved away from the trees a little... last night we had 6 RATS! going around in circles wondering how to get to the feeders...their heads were pickled.... we still have to get the feeders with trays on to stop so much spillage and we have ordered some no mess bird seed, so fingers crossed they start looking elsewhere for their breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. We have yet to see the squirrel to see what he/she thinks of the situation!